Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
I was former air force...... I suggest you go with explosive ordnance disposal (Bomb Squad). Reason I say this is:

1. there is a sign up bonus
2. there is a re enlistment bonus
3. When and if you do get out you will be making more money than you ever dreamed of.
Civilian EOD guys in Iraq are making 3 figures easy
Civilian EOD guys not in Iraq are making at least 65K minimum
I'm making 3 figures and I'm not in Iraq
4. Taken from experience I'll never, Do another job again
5. Being that I already know tou are an adrelanie freak and you like to live on the edge already........this is the career field of choice
6. As long as they have wars and Ranges wher they do live fire, there will never be a short fall on jobs. I don't think I'll ever not have a job in my life time and I'm 38 years old.
7. The danger is there but, with all the training and experience you will recieve it out wieghs the risk.

I'll stop there because 7 is a lucky number and in my field of work we all are superstitous. :twisted:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thats why you got only 7 fingers right?

j/k voomie......................................my bad again it's just a Marine thing.

·
Registered
54 Posts
i'm recently retired from the air force. spent 14 years as a cop and 6 in the safety (osha compliance) career field. i'd do it all over again. eod is a good job with lots of bennies, stay away from security police. the safety field is pretty good, lots of freedom to work on your own, out of the office. not sure if you can sign up for safety and newbie, but check it out. you used to have to be at least an E4 or an E5 to crosstrain into safety. but check it out. it pays pretty good on the outside. before i moved to texas i was making $25.00 an hour as a contractor at the norfolk ford assembly plant. not bad money. the air force is the way to go. good luck

·
Registered
846 Posts
I'm in the AF, and I love it... as far as a job goes... there's too many to get into. it all depends on what you like to do. If you're an electronics guy, then a 2E career field is what you should do... computers? 3C0... Like I said. It all depends on you. What are your interests? What would you like to be doing? Do you want the probablility of seeing a lot of places? these are all things to consider. Anyway, Good luck, and feel free to ask any questions.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i'm in electronics ang computers right now. just want to know after basic training do u get to choose wer u get stationed? how is it in the air force? i was looking at their website and it says there, after basic training next step is technical training. does that mean u go to school after basic training? what if i want to continue a 4 year college can i do that? can i go straight to college after the basic training and technical training?

·
Registered
846 Posts
BigBadBlue6 said:
i'm in electronics ang computers right now. just want to know after basic training do u get to choose wer u get stationed? how is it in the air force? i was looking at their website and it says there, after basic training next step is technical training. does that mean u go to school after basic training? what if i want to continue a 4 year college can i do that? can i go straight to college after the basic training and technical training?
Let's see... No, you don't get to choose where you get stationed. You can fill out a "dream sheet" of places you would like to be stationed, but you are not even remotley guarenteed that you will get one of them. Yes, you go to Technical Training after BMT (basic military training), and where your tech school is depends on your job. Most electronics/computer stuff is in biloxi, MS... that's where I went. I'm a ground radio communications guy. No, generally you cannot go directly to school. You can take classes, depending on your supervisor, that the AF will pay for, but you must work for a while before you can go full time, and even then you have to get accepted to a commisioning program (and become an officer). Hope this answers some of your questions. I've been in 5 years, and I'm now a Staff Sergeant (E-5). I love it, and plan to do at least 20 years... (where else would I be able to retire at 40?) I would reccomend the Air Force to just about anyone.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey thanks for ur replies! one more thing, do they pay u while your doing the BMT and Technical training? if so, how much do they pay a new recruit and is there any sign up bonus for joining the AF? how long does it usually takes for technical training? after technical training do they send new recruits directly to Iraq?

·
Registered
846 Posts
BigBadBlue6 said:
hey thanks for ur replies! one more thing, do they pay u while your doing the BMT and Technical training? if so, how much do they pay a new recruit and is there any sign up bonus for joining the AF? how long does it usually takes for technical training? after technical training do they send new recruits directly to Iraq?
Yes, you will get paid during basic and tech school. Your pay all depends on what rank you come in as. E1, E2, or E3 are the 3 ranks you can enter as. They're not supposed to send new recruits directly to Iraq, but depending on your job, it could possibly happen.

·
Registered
133 Posts
chkur6 said:
Thats why you got only 7 fingers right?

j/k voomie......................................my bad again it's just a Marine thing.
In actuality, in the EOD field the only ones I know of with missing fingers were former EOD Devil Dogs.............. As for me I'll let all the hi tech toys do the work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello,

BigBadBlue, if you don't mind me asking a few questions, how old are you? Are you still in high school? The Air Force is a great way to go. I'm a jet engine mechanic and I love it. Nothing is better than watching an aircraft you worked on scream across the sky. Anyway, as far as bonuses it depends on the job. I will tell you they are few and far between right now due to the Air Force's current downsizing. If you are interested in special forces or becoming a linguist there are some decent bonuses. Good luck and keep us informed with what you do.

Jake

P.S. Welchsm, I was stationed at Dyess for awhile. How's Abilene?

·
Registered
846 Posts
Jake said:
Hello,

P.S. Welchsm, I was stationed at Dyess for awhile. How's Abilene?
It's not too bad, a little slow, but it's alright. Dyess sux as always, promises, promises... we're getting this we're getting that, new bx commisary, blah blah blah, but I'll believe it when I see it. Where r u now?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wow! They still don't have a new BX?! I thought that was all but started when I left in Dec '00. Surprisingly, I miss it... well, at least I miss Texas Roadhouse. My wife and I are moving to Tyndall in February. Looks like some good riding weather is in my future.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No i'm not in high school anymore. i'm 23 years old and i have a Associates degree and working in opto-electronic company here in CA. i chatted with one of the airforce advisor yesterday and i think i got him offended or he's just plain rude! i just asked him what's the difference of air force life and a civillian life? and how is it better in the air force? i was just worried about the pay in the air force, found out i wont be able to make enough compared to what i'm making now. but the thing is i really want to try it and join. if i'm in the airforce will i have extra time to work another job or the air force gonna take all my time. can i have an extra job on the side while in the airforce?

·
Registered
12 Posts
That sucks that he was rude. How do you think you may have offended him? It is possible to get a job after duty hours if it is approved by your commander. Keep in mind the Air Force is a full time job and it will come first no matter what. If this is something you want to do, and you're doing it for the right reasons than go for it. Just know the Air Force is more than a paycheck and a way to pay for school. You have to put "Service Before Self."

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well I'm not active but in the Air National Guard. Pretty much the male side of the family is in the guard. My dad and uncle are in avionics, i'm survival equipment (pack parachutes, stitch bitch, etc) and my little brother is at tech school right now for load master. If you want to do some traveling then do load master. my brother is liking the training so far. sorry for the long post. :poke

·
Bacon is extra!
494 Posts
BigBadBlue6 said:
i chatted with one of the airforce advisor yesterday and i think i got him offended or he's just plain rude! i just asked him what's the difference of air force life and a civillian life? and how is it better in the air force? i was just worried about the pay in the air force, found out i wont be able to make enough compared to what i'm making now.
I'm an Active duty SSgt (E-5).I've been in for 8 years and I've done about 4 different jobs ranging from Missile Maintenance to Seismic Analysis. I spent a couple years supervising people who had just arrived at their first duty station and so I've had to deal with people getting their bonuses and adjusting to AF life.

As far as the bonuses go, you won't receive it until you've arrived at your permanent base after tech school. You will get paid while you are in basic training and tech school (not very much). I'll be honest here, the first couple years are really a pain as far as pay goes, but after a while the money is actually pretty good.

If you want to "pick" where you get stationed, it really depends on what job you do. Like Welchsm said, you get to fill out a dream sheet, but only certain jobs can go to certain bases. So, if you like the cold, pick Missile Maintenance, and if you want to go overseas, find out what jobs are available at a specific location.

You made the right decision by asking a forum full of AF peeps, I've never met a recruiter who was forthcoming with useful information.

I've never regretted my decision to join (maybe a couple times in BMT). If you have any questions, shoot me a PM.

Good luck

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm sort of in the same boat as BigBadBlue, but i'm still in college right now. I'm 21. I want to be a pilot. I was just looking on the air force website the other day. It talks about entering as an officer after graduation from college. can anyone tell me more about what this means?

also, so were you saying that I can't keep going to school if i joined right now?

·
Bacon is extra!
494 Posts
tigerstyle102 said:
I'm sort of in the same boat as BigBadBlue, but i'm still in college right now. I'm 21. I want to be a pilot. I was just looking on the air force website the other day. It talks about entering as an officer after graduation from college. can anyone tell me more about what this means?

also, so were you saying that I can't keep going to school if i joined right now?
If you joined right now, you'd be enlisted and you wouldn't be able to take college classes again for probably about a year. If you want to be a pilot, either do ROTC at your college or maybe try to apply to the AF academy. ROTC is easier to get into by a long shot, but an academy grad would be more likely to get a pilot slot.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you joined right now, you'd be enlisted and you wouldn't be able to take college classes again for probably about a year. If you want to be a pilot, either do ROTC at your college or maybe try to apply to the AF academy. ROTC is easier to get into by a long shot, but an academy grad would be more likely to get a pilot slot.
So are you saying that it is difficult to get a pilot slot?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.