Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
I'm addicted.
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so i've been riding for about 7 months now, and have been avoiding taking people on the back. Apart from removing the rear seat and no gear for a passenger, I haven't had to worry much. But... Problem is still around, now that the weather here is starting to warm up and look better, girls want rides. So i think to myself "Who am I to deny any hot chicks a chance to hold onto me tight...". Reality is, i'm freaked out that the worst is going to happen and somehow put their life in danger. I've accepted the risks for myself, but not for anyone else on back..

So my question, is anyone else having problems with this. If not, how do I get past this. I realize riding time will make me more comfortable, but the fact is, even being comfortable with myself, im not quite comfortable with putting someone elses life in danger quite yet. Any advice or ideas?

·
Registered
796 Posts
I got my bike last summer, first day I had it this hot chick wanted to ride it (fastest thing she's been on was a 250 Ninja lols). But yea, all I could think about was her getting road rash all over, and it being my fault. This summer though I think I've had enough experience to go for some short low speed rides with a passenger.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Like acupholdr68 said, take it slow at first with a passenger. Make sure you talk with her, not drill her, on things like leaning with you going into a turn. Have her look over your shoulder through the turn when in the turn. When stopping/slowing down, have her grip your legs with hers and use her stomach muscles to help support herself. Instead of putting all her weight on her wrists, and/or sliding into you and crushing big jim and the twins. I usually also would say, hey if I need to speed up a little I'll pat your leg twice to HOLD ON.

·
I'm addicted.
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I completely know what your sayin acupholdr68. I have had a few very good looking females want a ride, and i must say, my 6 would look SO much better with them on the back, but i just get this vision of rashin them up, and their brothers/fathers/friends wanting to kill me for it. Unfortunately, until i get out and do it comfortably, thats probably going to stay in the back of my mind.

Is it normal to be freaked out until you get past it and do it?

·
Intermediate Knee Dragger
1,309 Posts
I rode for about 9 months before I ever carried a passenger due to worry about wrecking with one.

I also never gave rides without some gear for the passenger, unless we were just riding around the parking lot or something like that. I wouldn't go out onto a busy road with a gearless passenger, no matter how hot she was.

Nowadays, I take my wife with me to the track.

·
rockin the '08
3,074 Posts
passengers are supposed to brace themselves on the tank when coming to stops so not to squish ur balls.
+1

my gf was the first passenger I ever took on my bike and I've been riding just over a year now.

She knows how to use the tank to brace herself under braking, how to lean with me and not against me and when she should move her head from one shoulder to the other. She's also 5'4" and very light which makes for a great ride.

·
Born 2 Ride YAMAHA
788 Posts
+1

my gf was the first passenger I ever took on my bike and I've been riding just over a year now.

She knows how to use the tank to brace herself under braking, how to lean with me and not against me and when she should move her head from one shoulder to the other. She's also 5'4" and very light which makes for a great ride.
A great ride huh? :jump Are you talkin on the bike or in the bedroom?!?! Got pic's? :lmao

·
Wanna Ride?
62 Posts
Thats always in my head when riding a with a girl and most girls around here are hard headed and dont wanna put on gear and just wanna look pretty when they ride...but i just try not to ride anyone now i have my girlfriend so now and then we ride but i bought her the gear i dont wanna take the chance ya know:popcorn:

52,014 Posts

·
I'm addicted.
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh god.. I envy you haha. Did you really buy that Ducati. Wow.. i guess if i had a cute girlfriend, and a little extra cash, id buy me one too. That would just cap off my garage :toocool:

I must say, great tips guys. Im just convinced that eventually ill get some chick that has no idea whats going on and will F up my ride. I, myself, am about 5'10", 140lbs.. Not the biggest rider of the bunch. So unless shes smaller than me, we could have major problems..

·
I m starting to eat my R6
790 Posts
i must be ugly looking b/c girls never ask me to take them for a ride lol
except for that one time... yeah.....

my gf though is too scared to ride... she only rides with me when we need to go someplace and i refuse to take a car and wanna ride.... when she is with me though i take turns slower so that we dont lean too much and also on the straight line i would go no higher than 85-ish

·
Registered
917 Posts
i used to be freaked out about riding passengers and didnt ride any for the first few months i had the bike. Now im comfortable with my girlfriend on the back and she loves it. try not to get too hung up about "putting their saftey in your hands" they understand the risks before they swing their leg over just like us. God forbid I crash with my girl on the back but she understands what shes getting into before I hit my kickstand.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've been riding only 4 months and I've taken a girl on my back. She has passenger experience and her own gear so that helped a bunch. I took it real slow, and I must admit it's nice to have a good looking girl on your back, lol.

·
Registered
58 Posts
ive only been riding for about a couple weeks and i just gave someone else my riding gear while she rode on the back. that way i didnt have to worry about her getting scuffed up. i already know the risks of myself getting hurt but i didnt want someone else to get hurt on my bike.

·
Shiney up Rubber down
4,936 Posts
Hey guys the best tips that I can give you are...

1 Gear up your passenger.

2 Tell your passenger to TRY NOT TO LEAN, don't anticipate it, don't try to lean the OTHER WAY, don't TRY to do anything, just relax on the back. They need NOT to lean with you (because if they TRY to, they will mess it up.) Tell them to keep their eye's watching down the road, and THROUGH the turns. If they look through the turns they will AUTOMATICALLY lean, and not even know it.

3 When you're starting out, go for a ride someplace where you can keep moving for quite a while... It will make you learn what it feels like to HAVE the weight of a passenger first.

4 After you have ridden around (and kept moving) start to go places where you HAVE to stop, then go, stop, then go. The braking will be MUCH different with the extra weight, so be ready for it. Like others have said ... MAKE your passenger wear GLOVES *rings and finger nails will F up your tank* and tell them to brace themselves on the tank NOT YOUR KNEES!!! AND NOT YOUR BACK!!!.

After a few practice rides, you should be okay... Just make sure that your passenger is always attentive to the road in front of you and not gazing all around and not paying attention. The more they look where THEY want the bike to go, the easier it will be on them AND YOU. *as long as they are looking in the same direction as you... That is the most important thing man*

1 - 20 of 65 Posts