Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, Ok i just bought some vortex clip on handle bars for $150,(my Stock RH side Handle just snapped out from under me while riding the other day (niiiiice). May take them a while to get here so i figured i would read up on how to put them on. My main problem i think is going to be the twist throttle, anyone ever removed/replaced these? If so could you let me know how this is done. I have also heard that you have to drill a hole in the new handle for the throttle, i guess that's for the cable???? Well if someone would help me out with this it would be GREATLY appreciated.

heres the ones i bought

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/50-m...022QQitemZ350058290360QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

·
$4 a gal. 4 gal. a shot
933 Posts
I don't imagine the '02 is any different, but on the '06 just losen up all the bolts for the throttle, brake lever clutch lever, ect, they all come right off. They have locate pins on the back, you can either grind the pin off, or drill a hole in the new clips ons for it. I didn't want to chance them rotating on me so I drilled new holes in my Vortex clip ons and was ready to go.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
When I installed mine, i ground off the pin. It rotated a little bit if you cranked it to full throttle, so I wrapped some electrical tape around the bar and put it back together. Hasn't moved since. Haven't looked at in 02 in a while so I'm not sure if they mount on top of or underneath the top triple. If they mount below it, you'll have to loosen the bolts holding the triple to the fork tubes, and then remove the large 36mm nut in the center of the triple. Not a big deal really.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
top tripple tree? didn't know there was top bottom... sry new to the handle bar thing lol... exhaust and electrical is my gig hehe. ummm.... what size drill bit would i need?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've jus got mines done....take off the kill switch housing then when taking the throttle off, you have to detach the throttle cable off the throttle itself....i ended up drilling the hole for the nub fit in the handle bar,honestly forgot what size bit i used....I have a 2005 and it mounted on top, tried something new and mounted them on bottom...Feels alot sportier

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol i know it sounds weird but anyone know of a video or address for a "HOW TO" i pretty much got this down and im about 99.9% sure i can do this with no problem. but you know just to get the hang of it before i just start tearin into my baby blue.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lol i wish they would hurry up and get here... it broke at my mother n laws house about 83 miles from my house and i had to leave it there and hitch a ride back... it feels like my baby is in the hospital or somethin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts