Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a few idle problems on my bike and air from crank the breather. i took a compression test and found cylinder 1 was down.
Anyway i have removed the cylinder head and found a hair line crack about 30mm long and really fine with no chips in.
It is on the side which runs back to back on cylinder 2. I have checked the cylinder on no2 to see if the crack has come through the other side but that is fine.
Will the air be coming past the piston ring causing blow by and has anyone ever used chemical metal to try to bring the compression up a bit by filling and sanding the crack or will it not work at all.
I need the cheapest way to use my bike for now without going the full engine root.
Could i just replace the cylinder with another second hand block and change my things over or is that a task and a half.
I have only used the bloody bike 5 times in a year and it only has 26000 miles on the clock with fsh.
Someone told me this is a common problem on the 5EB engine so how the hell did Yamaha get away with this. I can not believe the engine designers did not build removable liners. I will never have a Yamaha R6 again.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I haven't been into either of my r6 engines but the cylinder doesn't have a sleeve? I wouldn't try to fix it I'd just buy a new head.

Now my biggest question would be how did happen? It would suck to replace the head and have it happen again.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't been into either of my r6 engines but the cylinder doesn't have a sleeve? I wouldn't try to fix it I'd just buy a new head.

Now my biggest question would be how did happen? It would suck to replace the head and have it happen again.
Its not the head mate. It is the block what the pistons sit in and it is all one cast it is a stupid design. The head is still mint no damage.

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
Nikasil or called something similar to that. It's used to replate cylinder walls. Or go for a 2mm overbore

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
someone in the land of Big Ben has to do nikasil replating. And just fyi, ALL late model bikes are nickasil plated bores. Not just a simple resleave. As some stated, you could do an over bore/replate, but you are looking at over $600 US, then you would need overbore pistons and rings.
Your cheapest bet, would simply buy a set of cases (they have to be the pair) . I have no idea what year your bike is.. it helps to include that info.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi the bike is a 2000 year R6 5EB Engine. Has anyone tried taking the plating off there cylinder bore and sliding a custom sleeve in to fit the standard piston.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts