Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone going to Summit Main on Monday 6/4? (Pics/story of my first track day also)

Hey guys,

Just did my first track day last Monday (May 28) with Roger Lyle's motorcycle xcitement. I had a freaking blast. I would like to go back on monday and was wondering if anyone is going, if so any tips for running that track as I did Shenandoah last monday. I was out there with my orange R6. Running power pures at 28 front and rear. Let me know if you're going and maybe you can give me some tips as I'm a track noob.

Pics of Trackday # 1

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/31/td11.jpg/]
[/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Also as a side note, I'm running a M4 full exhaust with bazzaz zfi+ afm and I dont think it was running completely right. On decels I was getting some backfire/popping (too lean?) and right as i would accelerate from a closed throttle there seems to be a sortof dead spot before I hit 4k rpm. Maybe I need to erase the map thats on there and take it for a few laps and get new readings?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Not there on 6/4.

I've run Summit Main 3 times. It is a relatively easy track to learn.

Bumpy in a few spots. You really start to notice the bumps as your pace comes up. Turn 3 (fast left hander) in particular.

Again as the pace comes up, you'll probably find you need to upshift somewhere between Turn 7 and 9. I usually pop it up a gear in the right left transition into 8.

A lot of folks slow down for the blind rise out of 3 into 4. It isn't necessary, 4can be taken fast as long as you are willing to hammer the brakes into 5. This makes a good passing area once you get comfortable.

The traction in the dry is pretty consistent, but if it is wet, every patch seems to have different traction and there are a lot of patches. Makes an interesting learning experience.

Not to be a smartass, but the R6 off a closed throttle under 8k RPM feels like a dead spot.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah gotcha, thanks for all of the tips. I guess I am just not quite used to the lack of lowend compared to my cbr1000. By the way, since main is faster and bumpy, will I be in any danger without a steering dampener?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I don't run a steering damper and don't remember any particular issue with head shake. I'm not going to say you won't experience it at Main, but in comparison I can tell you at VIR exactly where it happens for me.

Probably nuts for not running a damper, I tend to just ignore the head shake and let it sort itself out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts