Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious. I'm very tempted to take one for a spin, one of my friends is looking to get one and I can see why.

2.7 0-60?! That's R1 territory for almost half the cost. I'm not sure what it would take to get an R6 anywhere near that. I understand it wont have that Race-style handling, but it still looks like a very aggressive bike that might even be more ideal for street riding than the R6.

I know 0-60 isn't everything, but its still impressive. I was more just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the new bike? Anyone have the chance to ride one already?

:hump

·
My R6 doesn't exist
1,674 Posts
i actually had a deposit down for one of these. theyre pretty damn cheap for what you get.

a ton of journalists have said the fueling is bad and the suspension is bad, but from other reviews of people that own them, they say its fine how it is. you just cant beat the price.

im sure next years model will be a bit more refined and maybe full adjustable suspension?? who knows..

either way, i still really want one.

·
Pastor of Muppets
1,459 Posts
Great bike. I bought one for the wife for Xmas. All of the reviews are pretty much spot on. Great engine. Brakes and suspension are so - so coming from a super sport bike. Compared to her old SV they're not so bad though. Lots of wind blast at highway speeds. Throttle is very twitchy at low speeds. I've heard a fuel controller or re flash will help.

Extremely fun to ride. Great flat torque curve. Great bike for the $.

·
My Power band is blue
2,344 Posts
I have ridden one. It could use some aftermarket suspension, but not bad how it is unless you are really putting it through it's paces. Must better street bike than the R6.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I rode one on a test at WSBK at Laguna Seca last year. It's comfortable to sit on and feels good at street speeds. The throttle is touchy in A and Standard modes. I weigh 175 LBs and thought the suspension was soft.

If you're willing to pay to upgrade the suspension and flash the ECU (maybe add some mods) then it will be a really fun bike. It's a bargain for the price but the compromises are in the suspension. Like most other motorcycles, it depends what you plan to use it for and how much you're willing to spend on it to make it what you want.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I've read quite a few reviews that say it needs a better suspension. I'm not selling my R6 for one, I would at least wait and see what the second gen brings. I think the 0-60 just kinda blew me away. So many people say the R1 is excessive power for street use, and this bike is slightly faster as far as street speeds and use would go. At least with stock vs stock.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Pastor of Muppets
1,459 Posts
Yeah I've read quite a few reviews that say it needs a better suspension. I'm not selling my R6 for one, I would at least wait and see what the second gen brings. I think the 0-60 just kinda blew me away. So many people say the R1 is excessive power for street use, and this bike is slightly faster as far as street speeds and use would go. At least with stock vs stock.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I don't think it truly out accelerates an R1. I've ridden both. It does pull like a freight train though. That feeling is further amplified by the fact it's a naked bike. For extended highway travel though, the wind blast gets a little old. We're looking into options as far as windscreens go for the wife's bike.

I wouldn't say that it NEEDS better suspension. Most of the reviews pit it up against the Street Triple R which has much better suspension stock. It is completely rideable stock. It really is a hell of a value and ridiculously fun to ride. Almost feels like a large supermoto.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
I've been thinking about picking one of these up after I ditch my R1. It just seems like it'd be a fantastically fun bike to blast around the streets on.

Suspension on really any bike needs to get touched up for your weight, so it's just kind of a given that it'll need a little money put into it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts