Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
i follow the speed limit
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
its been one of my favorite bikes of all times ever since i saw one for the first time...and now that i sold my r6 i will be getting one. i am very excited.
i cant explain what it is about them, but i just love them. and they have a lot of potential to customize to ones liking and make individual and unlike any other ones out there.
i know its not for everyone obviously, but frankly i found my r6 useless where i live and how i ride. i went to visit a friend at the track and all saw was carnage and crashed bikes, and before i even got there he crashed his 08...i do a lot of riding around with my GF (and although i would say a cruiser type would suite me better, no way would i want that at age 24 LOL)
so for longer distances, more riding relaxed position, and also timeless looks of the monster, i think its a perfect bike for me.
i should be picking it up this Saturday, so i will post some pics. :toocool:
all my friends and gf are happy that i can stop talking about getting one already hehe.

and since riding season is almost over here in IL, i look forward to winter to break the thing down, powdercoat the frame and such, and modify it and get it ready for next season to my liking...should have a whole garage dedicated to this. finally something to look forward in crappy winter time (last year was hell as the garage was unfinished and could hold heat temperature for no more than 5 mins couse of no insulation lol)

so does anyone have experience riding these? likes and dislikes?

·
^^ tallest Yamaha rider^^
6,294 Posts
i love it!! i work at a dealership and test ride the thing all the time...it's got really nice torque (low top end, no windscreen doesn't allow comfort at high speeds lol) it's a really comfortable ride and once u throw some pipes on it, it really does live up to it's name "monster"...make sure u get the 1000 and not the 696 lol and if u have one in your area get the Tri colore monster!!! limited edition (only 400) full ohlins suspension and a sick paintjob:nocontrol good luck man lemme know how it goes

·
i follow the speed limit
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ill post pics once i get it.
it has every single CF thing done to it, except the tank, but comes with that SICK tank cover that looks like a boxing bag (google it), CF exhaust, brand new tires included with stickers still on them, new handlebars and all stock pieces, and a corbin gel seat.
its a m750 dark (i dont want a fuel injected monster).
so im planning on doing a red frame for sure...thats for sure, everythign else is up in air.
and it has a CF front protection windscreen thing, but that will be off as soon as i i get it LOL

·
Dragging Knee
1,603 Posts
I have a Monster 800

The likes:
-Low to the ground which allows flat footing at stops
-Torque- The torque makes it so you don't have to jockey the gears
-easier to ride around town than the r6
-Don't see to many of them around.
-Great Brembo brakes

dislikes
-Having to do the valves every 6000 miles
-No fairings on long rides creates more fatigue
-The leg positioning bothers my knee and the foot hits the motor when I am using the controls.
-Not very good for the track.

·
I eat YOUR MOM
2,110 Posts
i've never riden a duc...... the monsters are nice, but i would def rather have a white 848 or 1098!!!! a desmosedici rr would be the best... but i don't see that happening in the near future.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,814 Posts
my cousin has an s4r monster and it is pretty damn cool. Its not an r6, especially at the track, but make no mistake, its no slouch in the twisties either. Besides, its fun and its Ducati. 6000 mile valve jobs suck though..

·
i follow the speed limit
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
a 2000 m750
and as for track, well i don't do that, so i don't care...i autocross my car which gets my speed thirst satisfied.

and as for valve adjustment, its not a big deal, i actually like fiddling around the bike in garage, so it will give me something to do :)

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
Great bike! IIRC, YamaDan used to have one... the right rider will embarrass a R6 in the twisties. Ask Dan...

The Desmodue (2V) motors are not that bad to work on. If you are mechanically inclined, you can probably do the valve adjustment yourself.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I owned both a Monster 750 and the 1098. I enjoyed the soul of the Ducatis but not the electrical gremlins that persisted with both bikes!

I hear that Ducati has come a LONG way with the new 848 and monster 696. If I had to do it over again, I would have waited for the 848 and tracked it instead of purchasing the 1098 as a street bike. WAAAY too much power for the street--I would break the rear tire loose in second with a roll on and not realize it on warm tyres!! Just too insane for the street.. The Monster would be better for the street, but I stopped riding on the street after cutting loose and nearly killing myself on the 1098.

·
wat?
722 Posts
I have ridden them. Sadly also wrecked them :(

Great bikes, far more appropriate for street riding than the R6. Easy to toss around, great torque. Far more comfortable to ride. More comfortable with a passenger (and for a passenger). Sound is to die for.

Cons are maintenance, electrical gremlins, cold starts, wheezy top end, not as capable in the corners, parts are ridiculously expensive.

Really unless you are heavy into the twisties and/or riding track, the Monster is a far better choice of bikes than the R6 ever will be.

·
i follow the speed limit
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thx guys
yes, i dont do track riding like i said, so i dont have the need for the r6, plus it was loud and attracted cops for stupid uncalled reasons.
i ride with a passenger a lot, and trough city and suburbs, and once by myself i like to hit up a few twisties, but a bitch to find around where i live.

ill get pics up once its in my hands :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.