Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am scared as hell to redline first gear and second gear once it hits about 7k freaks me out even more. I am always afraid that the front tire will lift up and throw me off the back of the bike. Anyone here do this? Does the front lift up? How to you keep it down if that is that case?

ps. I got used to the clutch on the bike and can finally ride it pretty well. Its almost as if the throttle needs to physcially be pushed forward for a smooth shift on the bike..or else it becomes to jerkey or easly overreved..

·
Registered
196 Posts
it all depends on how much throttle you give it! if you're at wot in 1st or 2nd, it'll probably lift the front tire, especially if you are sitting up on the bike. if you are in the prone position, at least with me (166 lbs) it kinda feels like the front tire is just barely skipping along the road. i have ended up looking at the sky a couple of times when i got on it and i wasn't down on the bike. it won't "throw you off", but you can flip the bike, so be careful. just be ready with your hand on the clutch and the shifter preloaded to upshift because redline comes fast!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im telling you guys, this is some freaky shay!!! That feeling of a light tire in the front happened to me 2 times in second gear and i quickly let off the throttle. I guess i shoulda leaned forward more. These bikes are def not "first bike" material. I am slowely riding it at my pace for now without doing stupid things...I am just trying to get a slow feel as i progress closer to redline.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I went WOT in first, front end started coming up around 8-10k. I backed off on the throttle and it dropped slowly. No big deal, but you have to be prepared for it. Wouldn't do it too often, though...bars get a bit twitchy when the wheel comes down. A dampener would help with that.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hmmm.... I redline it all the time in first and second-I love to go fast. The front tires feels light, but never really leaves the ground. Then agian, when I redline in first/second, I go into full tuck and at 6'1" 210-I'm not small.

Redlining is not scary-why else do you have a 16.5 line????

·
Mr. B (Florida Boy)
1,533 Posts
It's easy man, you just gotta lean forward and show the bike YOU are in charge, not it, it'll do everything you command it to. Be prepared though...that redline will sneak up on you VERY FAST after you get over about 10k.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
the ground. Then agian, when I redline in first/second, I go into full tuck and at 6'1" 210-I'm not small.
I'M 6'2" 210LBS when i first got my r6 i stood her straight up in first i don't know how i didn't loop it but i gradually learned how to roll it on alot quicker now without it pulling up

its so weird going from my 750 to a 600 they have almost exact same horspower but the bottom end screamed on my 750 and the top end is scary on the 6:nocontrol

·
Team: Teletubby racing
21,003 Posts
It's easy man, you just gotta lean forward and show the bike YOU are in charge, not it, it'll do everything you command it to. Be prepared though...that redline will sneak up on you VERY FAST after you get over about 10k.
:stupic....what he said...then the asshole light will pop up...you know the time to shift you asshole!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
im only 165 and when i drop it in first i lay down with alot of my weight on the tank and the tire wont come up. if i sit up though i can get the tire off the ground a little. gets very unstable, im trying to keep the front end on the ground until i get a damper.

·
Registered
206 Posts
dont try it uphill.. i did wot in 1st uphill on a FULL tuck im 6'1 205 lbs and my front wheel came up to a full blown wheelie

edit: i got scared, let off the throttle right away... front wheel came down, and my nuts met my gas tank... i cried

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I only weigh about 155 on a good day. The front WILL come up if you yank the throttle in first and second without hesitation. I feel like I get the best acceleration out of my bike when I feel like the front tire is about 4" off the ground without ever backing off the throttle to control the lift. I'm probably wrong though.

·
Registered
917 Posts
it just takes time man, once you get comfortable with the power of the bike you'll be doing stand up wheelies down the highway before you know it. Dont rush it though if you start to get uncomfortable when you hit 7k is first start taking it to 8 or 9k before you shift. That'll give you a better feel as to when and where you're going to get your power. Keep trying that and after a day or 2 you'll be at redline!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree with everybody's comments, best advice though is to take it slow work your way to that redline. I guarantee before you know it you will start to love the feeling of the front lifting...at least I do.:D

·
My R6 shoots tequila
1,487 Posts
I dont ever redline in first it makes the shift to second rough. I would if I was riding in some sort of contest, but just on the street? nah. Second and third are a different story though.

The only time my front wheel has lifted accidently was when I had a chick on the back and I wound up second. She didnt like that very much.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
I am 5'7" 140lbs and if I am not leaning over the tank it comes up in first and second, the worst thing you can do is panic you need to stay cool and just roll off the throttle let the wheel come back down and then crack on it again. I don't keep into it because I personally do not like the wheelies, but I haven't had an issue yet letting it come back down easily.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts