Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

What color should I powder coat my forks?

• White

Votes: 15 62.5%
  • Blue

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Red

Votes: 3 12.5%
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If so, show me some pics. And let me know if there were any troubles you ran into in the process. Or anything I should be aware of.

I'm thinking of powder coating mine white.

EDIT: Other options

Red:

Blue:

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
If so, show me some pics. And let me know if there was any troubles you ran into in the process. Or anything I should be aware of.

Ive heard of people doing it, especially on choppers

·
Premium Member
17,965 Posts
If so, show me some pics. And let me know if there was any troubles you ran into in the process. Or anything I should be aware of.

That looks sick... I don't see why not as long as you do it right and don't get anything on the inside right?

·
Premium Member
12,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:werd I think it's going to look really good with the white brake lines I just installed too.

Just wasn't sure if there was any problem with powder coating them because of the heat and whatnot.
and then I'll need to powder coat the caliper bolts too. Just don't know which color to go with on those.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
That looks sick... I don't see why not as long as you do it right and don't get anything on the inside right?
Yeah, as long as you just coat the outside tubes you should be fine, but make sure not to get anything inside.

·
Premium Member
13,349 Posts
As a powdercoater it will be somewhat difficult for fitment after you do the process. Because of the finish on the fork tubes the powder may go on pretty thick and make it hard to get back through the triples.

I'm not saying it can't be done becaue I know it can. I just would worry about sliding the fork tubes back through the lower and upper triples.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
:werd I think it's going to look really good with the white brake lines I just installed too.

Just wasn't sure if there was any problem with powder coating them because of the heat and whatnot.
I dont think the heat is a problem, and i may be mistaken, but they will probably have to strip the anodizing, and you will absolutely have to disassemble the fork completely, so pay attention to how that shit comes apart.

·
Registered
219 Posts
My friend did It on his Monster.
You have to unmount the whole fork.
nothing really complicated. you bring the tube unmounted to the powdercoat shop and wait for them to do It;)

He also did the lower part black. I don't know what it is called but that look SICK!!

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
As a powdercoater it will be somewhat difficult for fitment after you do the process. Because of the finish on the fork tubes the powder may go on pretty thick and make it hard to get back through the triples.

I'm not saying it can't be done becaue I know it can. I just would worry about sliding the fork tubes back through the lower and upper triples.
If you slack the bolts on the triples completely, and VERY gently insert a screwdriver or similar tool into the triple clamp gap to VERY gently spread it a little, it should be no problem. DID YOU NOTICE I SAID VERY GENTLY!!!!!!

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
My friend did It on his Monster.
You have to unmount the whole fork.
nothing really complicated. you bring the tube unmounted to the powdercoat shop and wait for them to do It;)

He also did the lower part black. I don't know what it is called but that look SICK!!
Its a very low friction coating to reduce the stiction of the forks, basically anti friction coating found on all serious race bikes, MX bikes, etc. Every company probably has their own name for it, but its an anti friction coating to make the fork more responsive. its usually not cheap.

·
Premium Member
12,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

That's what I was worried about too. I'm guessing I should be able to loosen the triple clamp enough to get them back in?? I'll have to see how much play there is when I take them off.
edit:just saw what red wrote. :toocool:

I dont think the heat is a problem, and i may be mistaken, but they will probably have to strip the anodizing, and you will absolutely have to disassemble the fork completely, so pay attention to how that shit comes apart.
:werd But, since I'm doing the fork seals too, I'll pretty much have to take it completely apart anyway, right??

·
Premium Member
13,349 Posts
If you slack the bolts on the triples completely, and VERY gently insert a screwdriver or similar tool into the triple clamp gap to VERY gently spread it a little, it should be no problem. DID YOU NOTICE I SAID VERY GENTLY!!!!!!
Yeah I noticed that, because you will have to be very gentle.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
That's what I was worried about too. I'm guessing I should be able to loosen the triple clamp enough to get them back in?? I'll have to see how much play there is when I take them off.
edit:just saw what red wrote. :toocool:

I think you may be right, but its been a while and I cant remember. You'll find out soon enough. When monkeying with fork internals, be extra careful not to scratch, bend, break, or damage anything.

:werd But, since I'm doing the fork seals too, I'll pretty much have to take it completely apart anyway, right??
Yeah I noticed that, because you will have to be very gentle.
Sometimes when things are tight, you have to massage the opening a little rather than just cramming it in for best results.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
what if you have cotton mouth?:fact

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
Yeah, I just worry about that lower triple though. You scuff anything coming through there and there goes some shitty looking tubes.

piss on it
True, its probably a two person job to avoid damaging the pc.

and :nono

·
Life is best beyond 10k
6,928 Posts
1 - 20 of 92 Posts