Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanting to get some turn signal mirrors, does anyone know how different the mounting is between a 2017 R6 and a 2008-2016 R6?

Picture of the 17 R6 mirrors:

I had some cheapo ones on my CBR before, but don't really want to go that route anymore. TIA! If not, what have you guys done for turn signal mirrors?

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I am pretty sure they are very different. The angle and mounting bracket all look quite different. I'm sure if you have the resources and the skills it could be fabricated.

Short of fabbing the stock mirrors with turn signals IMO there is not a whole lot of options. The aftermarket mirrors are garbage, at least says everyone else. I have no personal experience, but I trust others opinions.

·
nova r6
3,211 Posts
Yes the aftermarket mirrors with signals are complete garbage, I try to take them off every bike that comes thru the shop. Another issue you will have with the 17 on the older ones aside from what flyers said would be the extra hole for the signal wire to go thru unless yamaha ran the wires thru the mounting stud.

16 Posts
I've had the same issues with a used mirror I ordered from the UK which didn't hv the dble thread base included. So I combined my old dble threaded base to the new mirror by drilling a new hole (w/an addtl nut and bolt to attach mirror arm w/dble thread base. I also ground about .5 the bolt off the entire length to make room to bring the wire thru. Ive almost gotten the 2 wires thru but when I put the final tightening on the bolt, I manage to pinch at least 1 of the wires off (if not both). I'm determined to get this cheap mirror to work, so Ill hv to drill an alt route for the wiring...any suggestions here?

PS - If I can get this used mirror to work Im gonna try and devise a quick button-motorized system to pull the mirrors in tight, just prior to entering the split-lane zone (yes, I live in Southern California

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Can you just route the wire around the the side of the windshield/mirror-base mount? If the tiny wire bothers ya'll that much, there are flat wires that can be spliced in... https://www.amazon.com/s?k=flat+wire

In terms of aftermarket nothing will come close to OEM in terms of usability, fold-ability and durability.

I had owned a couple of those terrible aftermarket mirrors (who's failing is that they're plastic instead of metal) and yes, complete unsafe JUNK is being generous. If they were just metal, they would at least be decent.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts