Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have taken the MSF course, but I was just curious if anyone has taken or knows someone who has taken a Race School before. I have been checking a few out online.

http://www.superbikeschool.com/
http://www.starmotorcycle.com/news.htm

I had a car pull out in front of me while I was doing about 60 a year ago, I didn't have time to go anywhere. I am the proud new owner of a 6" plate and 8 screws in my left collarbone and a few good scars. I haven't been able to ride as hardcore as before and a buddy suggested that one of these race/cornering schools might help. Anyone got any info?

·
Registered
963 Posts
Yes, I think those race schools are worth the cash. Your skill level grows exponentially after you go to it. I thought I rode pretty well before the course, but after taking the course, I realized what I was doing wrong and what to do to make it right. From body position, how to steer correctly, to cornering at high speeds, even to what do when you drag parts on the bike, and how to take a fall.

MSF is good for teaching basic riding skills, but the race schools get into the nuances and how to ride hard and fast without crashing. It'll teach you how to handle the bike and make it familiar.

I went to Keith Code's California Superbike School (your first link), and I highly recommend it. In fact, I'm going back for the next level two months from now. Jason Pridmore's school is great too. I hear good things about them from friends who've gone there. Either one you pick would be a good choice. Freddie Spencer also offers a school that's phenomenal as well, but it's on the expensive side. Almost 2 thousand dollars...

·
Registered
130 Posts
The code school is awsome, expensive, but worth it. Before taking the level 1 and 2 class the guys I ride with would be sipping on some fresh coffee by the time I caught up. after the classes they never left me behind again.

after 3 and 4 the confidence in track riding has gone through the roof, the lap times just keep dropping. well worth it.

if all you are going to do is street ride, 1 and 2 cover the basics. 3 is good for body positioning, 4 if you are planning on doing some track time.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I'm actually headed to a moto GP school in berlin, germany this summer for a week. Matt leblanc (dude from friends) goes there alot i guess and its supposed to be one of the best in the world. The entire ducatio and honda teams are sent there every 2 years to freshen up....they said on the first day you learn how to take sharp turns around 85 mph.......dizamn good thing they provide bikes...i aint about to F up my shit

·
Registered
28 Posts
Those of you who have attended the schools are lucky bastards. I'm sure they are worth it, but checkout some track day organizations. For real, Sportbike Track Time is awesome, there are alot of really fast guys that are more that happy to teach you what they know. You start in the novice class and ride around for twenty minute sessions. After each you all meet up and the "instructors" provide feedback as to your lines, body position, and what you can do to improve. It's only around $150 a day. Even after a few sessions and you bump up to intermediate/advanced people will still follow you around and let you know whats up. If they can catch you! It took me two trackdays to really nail what it was they were telling me to do. Now I can get around Putnam in the neighborhood of 1:18. I'm sure there are alot of guys faster, but when I first whent around I thought I was fast @ 1:35.

What I'm trying to say is that there is alot of support and advise out there in the racing community that is free.
:cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts