Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've passed 13K on my 07 R6, and I think it's time to do plugs again. I've seen the NGK gapless plugs and thought about making them my next upgrade. I already have pretty much every performance mod short of internals for my bike, so I figured the extra 1-3 HP these plugs may give would be worth it, plus it's replacement time anyway. I've seen the several threads where people question spending the cash, but thats not what I'm asking. I have my own money and spend it as I wish. My question is, how will gapless plugs perform on the street? I don't expect to get 10HP from them or anything crazy, but a boost wouldn't hurt my feelings any. I'd like opinions from those that have run them on the street, or even from guys that have them on a track bike. So, opinions?

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, the racing plugs. I've seen them referred to as gapless plugs.

·
Insert nonsense here
5,092 Posts
That's a lot of cash for MINIMAL gains. You don't need those until you start upping the compression and start making timing changes. I doubt you would gain anything from installing them on a stock engine.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm honestly not concerned about the cost too much, I just want to know about the street ridability.

·
Insert nonsense here
5,092 Posts
I'm honestly not concerned about the cost too much, I just want to know about the street ridability.
It's not the issue of money. It's the issue of it doing nothing for you because you don't have the mods to take advantage of it. If you want to just throw away $468.00 I'll gladly take it.

Link to these plugs for the guy who is unaware of their existence?
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/accessories/acscitemdetail/5/8/191/2031/all/5/3339/0/detail.aspx

·
Registered
585 Posts
From NGK's website itself:
Q: How much of a performance improvement can I expect from changing plugs?

A: A common misconception is that changing spark plugs will result in a large power increase. In most cases, removing even seriously worn out spark plugs will only result in very modest power gains, typically about 1-2% of total engine output. This could be even less for computer-controlled vehicles, primarily because most newer vehicles have more powerful ignition systems and the vehicle's computer can make adjustments so that vehicle operation seems smoother and more seamless.

Many people think that simply supplying more spark to the firing tip can and will combust more fuel. What they don't understand is that most newer cars' engines are so efficient that they are already burning all of the available fuel. Simply adding more spark voltage can't burn more fuel because there is no more fuel to burn.

When a stock or near-stock engine is given a fresh set of spark plugs, peak efficiency is restored. The power gains that come from this restored state of tune are usually minimal. Any company that tells you that their spark plug will provide significant gains in power in a stock or near-stock engine is making blanket statements that may not be supportable.

« Return to the FAQ main page
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinfo/spark_plugs/faq/faqpower.asp?nav=31200&country=US

·
Registered
333 Posts
What kind of drugs do you sling if 500 bones for those vs 25 bucks for regular cr10ek's constitutes as little extra money. I'd off myself before I spent 500 for plugs, that's some F1 shit

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Once again guys, I'm not looking at it from a price standpoint. I'd like some real experience with them, please.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
Once again guys, I'm not looking at it from a price standpoint. I'd like some real experience with them, please.
you should get them! While youre at it... run some oxygenated fuel like MR1, Q16 or turboblue!
Be sure to admire the cool white coating on your exhaust tip after running said suggested fuels.
White = high hp!!!!:secret

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You people act as if I'm an idiot newb. I would just like an answer to my question, if you have a smart response, don't bother posting? Ok?

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
You people act as if I'm an idiot newb. I would just like an answer to my question, if you have a smart response, don't bother posting? Ok?
Hey man, It says they are for high compression motors where the piston to head clearance is needed, so a flat plug is used like these. It says they can also foul out in lower temperature conditions (stock motor). So if anything, you could end up with premature failure of the plug. They are for really hot built motors. The heat index on em is way up there too. There would be no advantage. AND, I found em for like $64 each instead of $125. Sorry no experience with using them, but a straight up answer for you.

http://www.sparkplugs.com/more_info.asp?AAIA=&pid=3011

1 - 16 of 16 Posts