Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Girlfriend is looking for a bike for her first bike. She took the class and got her endorsement. She knows she only wants a 250 since its her first bike and she doesn't want to speed. Also a 250 is shorter than my R6 so it will fit her better.

She was thinking a Ninja 250, one of the 08 and newer because she doesn't like the look of the older ones but theres none around that are in good shape since they are used as starter bikes.

So to the topic, she likes the looks of the Hyosung GT250R, I agree they look pretty good. I have done some research since they aren't a huge name and have seen people say they aren't reliable and people who say they are great. What I am wondering is does anyone have experience with them?

·
Ya wheelies is garbage!
5,935 Posts
Save yourself the headache of dealing with a crappy bike with shit parts. Just keep your eye out for a ninja 250. Would be a much better investment IMHO.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I actually did the same thing that your doing. I looked for my girlfriend and saw the same thing. The Hyosung is said to fall apart pretty easily so I steered her clear of them just to be safe. She ended up with an 08 Ninja 250R with 5200 miles on it for like 2800 bucks. There are good ones out there but it took me a little bit to find hers too. I would say to keep looking for a good ninja.

·
Premium Member
17,965 Posts
Don't do it. I knew someone with it.. It was the worst bike ever. Feels like a toy, sounds terrible and you will most likely have a very hard time re-selling...

The guy that had it crashed, it was a pain to get parts for it according to him.

How long do you think she will stick with the 250? I say for a first bike, **** looks. Convince her to go with the older Kawi, or something else.. You know she will tip it over at some point.

First cars and bikes shouldn't be pretty.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Ninja 500.Good beginner bike that you won't out grow too soon.

·
Premium Member
1,408 Posts
Girlfriend is looking for a bike for her first bike. She took the class and got her endorsement. She knows she only wants a 250 since its her first bike and she doesn't want to speed. Also a 250 is shorter than my R6 so it will fit her better.

She was thinking a Ninja 250, one of the 08 and newer because she doesn't like the look of the older ones but theres none around that are in good shape since they are used as starter bikes.

So to the topic, she likes the looks of the Hyosung GT250R, I agree they look pretty good. I have done some research since they aren't a huge name and have seen people say they aren't reliable and people who say they are great. What I am wondering is does anyone have experience with them?
I have an acquaintance with one and he's extremely happy with his. Bought his 08(iirc) used for $1800 and it was in great shape. I brought out my 250 to do a comparison and it's really not a bad contender to the Ninja. It seems a little bit beefier of a sportbike than the ninja is, size-wise.

-The Hyosung is FI and only the Euro version of the ninja is.
-GT250R has inverted forks and the tank looks way more aggressive than the ninja. I couldnt even tell it was a 250 at bike night.
-The wheels and tires are wider and bigger than the ninja's. You're VERY limited on tire selection on the ninja and you cant expect to go much bigger in the rear tire before the rim starts pinching it and clearance issues pop up.
- It doesn't have the same quality feel to it that japanese bikes have(you know, with japs mostly everything feels right and mostly everything's in the right place), comparable to the feel of a Japanese car vs. a domestic. People will even go as far as to say that it feels cheap. Which I wont argue.

Lets face it, it is what it is... an ENTRY LEVEL sportbike.... It's good at what it sought out to do in the intended market. People ask too much of STARTER bikes and that's why it's easy for people to say this bike's garbage(not to mention most people have no real experience with one).

If you plan on keeping the bike forever, go with the ninja 250r, if you're gonna sell it anyway, save yourself a grand(used) or two(new)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright, thanks for the opinions. She will be getting a ninja. I was leaning towards the ninja anyways since I have ridden one and I know they are a solid bike. I know looks don't matter for first bikes, hell I used to ride a 91 ninja 600 that was a beater, but she won't budge on looks. I know it has a chance of going down but she will be holding on to it for a long time, I know her and she won't want to upgrade once she buys it, she will be happy with a 250.

·
Registered
364 Posts
i just sold my 08 blue ninja 250 with 3k miles for $3100... it was an awesome reliable bike and looks great (besides that horribly skinny back tire :p )

youre pretty far away in Oregon but if you look on craigs list for grand rapids michigan they are crawling alllll over the stinkin place for a real cheap.

·
Mario J's Apple Juice
8,180 Posts
why dont you get her a r6? shave the seat and lower it. you said you dont want to get her a bigger bike because you dont want her to speed. she CAN speed on the 250 if she wants to. look into it. dont wanna buy her a bike shes going to "out grow" in a couple months
Wow, did you just recommend a beginner chick to start out on a 600cc bike?

The only one that I recommend starting on a 600cc bike is the people who are tall and weight 200 lbs+ and complain that they'll look like a gorilla on a 250. Even then I say if you have a lot of self control and respect for the bike you can start on it. Majority of beginner riders who start on a 600cc bike wreck.

I'd say wait and find a deal on the 250R. Winter time is nearing so bikes are in storage, best time to buy a bike.

Got my friend whose a girl a deal on a 250R. 2008 Green 250R with 2,500 mi for 2650. With the OEM seat cowl.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
She doesn't want anything bigger than a 250, and an R6 is a lot more money than a 250. I agree with mike, I would never let her get an R6 for her first bike, thats asking for problems. I started on a 600, but it was an old one, if I started on my R6 I know without a doubt I wouldn't have it anymore because it would of been wrecked.
I'm going to keep looking for a good 250, might take a while but we'll find one. Now its just going to be hard to keep her from impulse buying the first bike she sees.

·
Premium Member
17,965 Posts
Reminds me of a guy and his girlfriend that came to see a 600 I was selling. It was him buying it for her first bike ever... She couldn't even put her fit down and still wanted it.

I really didn't want to sell it to them, good thing they didn't buy it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah Jme, my gf has sat on my 6 and cant touch both feet to the ground and she knew that wouldn't work and I knew it too. Thats why she wants a 250 and shes buying it.

3rd I would be interested but you are on the opposite coast so a good 3000+ miles and shes on a budget. But thanks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts