Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a bike stolen earlier this year and its yet to be recovered.

I live in an apartment complex and have no access to any garages, and it seems even storage units are prime targets for bike theft here in Orlando.

I recently purchased another bike and found that I could pull it into my apartment without much issue. However, the fire extinguisher inspectors came in the other day and notified that apartment complex that there my bike was in the living room. I have been given a notice that I must remove my bike due to fire hazards, yet the piece of paper that mentions my violation only mentions open grills and barbque grills.

What is the exact fire code law that I am violating? Gasoline is much different than propane and other gases, and I dont really see how the complex storing all of their weedeaters and lawnmowers indoors is any different than me storing my bike inside.

I have insurance, chain, alarm, and disc locks for it, but we all know that they can all be defeated in a matter of minutes.

I live in a high theft area and dont want to see the theifs get my bike again.

Anyone know the exact law that states I cant park a bike inside? Any chance I can appeal it? Apartment complex takes no responsibility in first bike being stolen even though their gates hadnt been working for months and any thug could come in. Damn sure dont want to give away a second bike.

·
My R6 shoots tequila
1,487 Posts
Your probably violating carbon monoxide codes. In a small area like an apartment bike exhaust can be a problem. Living in apartments sucks bro why dont you move? I would never own a bike without a garage.

·
RU R6
1,207 Posts
So the inspector came into your apartment w/o notification? That in itself is a violation.

But yeah, storing a gas operated motor vehicle of any sort in an apartment is a fire hazard. That, and most apartment complexes won't allow you to do that, even if it's not in the lease terms, because the possibilities of oil leaking, etc. They just don't want their carpets getting dirty.

Does your apt have a balcony or patio that you can park the bike in?

·
Registered
136 Posts
i will be living in orladno in august too (UCF) and i think im going to try to put my bike in my room as i wont have a garage as well..

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
well technically if you drain the gas from it when you pull it in there is no violation
its the gas thats the problem assuming your under national fire code

if theft is really that big of an issue you should try to find a way to aleviate the problem by talking to your appt manager my appt manager finally got tired of me bitching and they put in security cameras at the gates with 2week HDD recorders

if they get by my alarm, (then berreta if i'm home) lock, and security cameras then so be it i have insurance

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I knew they were coming to do the fire extinguisher inspections. What I didnt know was that I wasnt allowed to have the bike in house. Ive read and heard about so many people doing it, that I didnt know it was illegal.

I wouldnt really even push the issue if I didnt have a bike stolen 3 months ago. The apt complex doesnt own the garages in their units, so that is out of the question as well.

Im having a hard time finding the exact law that I am breaking. There is a garage with 2 beat up cars in it 5 feet from my front door, but the owner wont let me use it to store my bike.

I have no clue what makes having a bike in the house anymore of a fire hazard that having a ton of cars in garages that attatch to the apartments.

I have another 3 months left of living here, so hopefully I can fight it and prolong the enevitable

1 - 6 of 6 Posts