Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
2008 R6
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, hoping you all can give me a quick hand. For about a month or more I've been thinking about new brake lines. I'm leaning towards Galfers because Bohemian Racing has the SS lines for only $100, which is about the perfect price for me.

The question is this....what color line should I get? I definitely don't want black, but I was thinking either the smoke or yellow.

What do you all suggest? Will yellow just throw it off completely? I figured yellow because the rear shock is yellow and I was thinking that I want it to pop out a bit more.

Pics here:

·
Waiting for remission...
2,444 Posts
Go with smoke, unless you wanna put some yellow rim tape on it and maybe throw a few other yellow things here and there.

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
fren tubo type 1 lines are right at $105. they're better than bohemian or whatever. plus you can get em from me in whatever color line you want. :D

i'll be doing another group buy shortly after new years. keep an eye out.

as for a color - i think yellow, or either natural SS with a clear sleeve would be good.

·
2008 R6
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fren tubo type 1 lines are right at $105. they're better than bohemian or whatever. plus you can get em from me in whatever color line you want. :D

as for a color - i think yellow, or either natural SS with a clear sleeve would be good.
Yeah..Something is telling me to lean towards the yellow. As for the lines, they are Galfer. I'd be ok with Fren Tubo as well....how soon are you going to do it? Does that include shipping as well??

·
Registered
357 Posts
if you could get them in gold SS ... i think that would be your best bet

·
wants to drag knee
144 Posts
i know it wasn't one of your choices, but I would vote for regular silver SS lines

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
Yeah..Something is telling me to lean towards the yellow. As for the lines, they are Galfer. I'd be ok with Fren Tubo as well....how soon are you going to do it? Does that include shipping as well??
prolly do another week long buy shortly after the new year. lines would be in at the end of january or the beginning of february. and yes, my prices ALWAYS include shipping. ;)

i know it wasn't one of your choices, but I would vote for regular silver SS lines
yea, i'm going with the "write in vote" as well - regular silver. or even smoke sleeve.

·
Riding is a lifestyle
8 Posts
Don't do the SS lines. Spend a little extra cash and get the Galfer Platinum lines. It's a wider line which is gonna give you more fluid area, keep your fluid cooler, and thus result in better stopping power. Yes, they only come in the platinum color, which won't look as "cool" as the yellow lines, but performance is much more important. Plus, you won't look very cool if you can't stop fast enough to not slam in to the back of that truck.

I would also suggest getting a whole Galfer system, their wave rotors in particular are designed for each individual bike that they are put on so that when you brake, the brake pad won't touch the same part of the rotor until it has revolved four times, thus keeping your brake pads cooler, resulting in faster stopping.

·
Riding his own ride...
4,639 Posts
Just so you know most yellow covered lines look like puke. If they are translucent at least. We actually pulled them off our website after having like 100% returns with them. Maybe an off brand looks good, but to date I haven't seen one. From what i've seen it would have to be a non translucent line to look half way decent.

IMO clear ss with gold banjo's would look awesome on your bike. I'm a big fan of the clear lines as everyone knows that look and on a black bike it really pops, but doesn' look like bling as it's a clear sign of a performance part.

the rotors touch all parts of the rotor every revolution? The cuts in them just produce leeding/trailing edges that cut into the pad, remove the dust, and help with cooling. This goes for everyone who has a wave type design.

It appears the platinum lines are 3mm inner bore or very close to that so they would perform the same as all the other standard lines out there. Also larger inner bore usually hurts braking. It's a smaller inner bore that normally gives better braking. Like the Goodridge -2 or 2mm inner bore lines. The problem with the small bore though is that you have less fluid so you need to change it out much more often and it heats up and bakes the fluid much quicker as well.

·
Impossible is Nothing.
4,278 Posts

x1000000:stupic

·
2008 R6
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank for the feedback everyone....now I'm more confused then when I started hahaha. Nah, but this was awesome info.

So I'm still thinking smoke or yellow (only if solid and not translucent)

Likely Galfer or Fren. Gonna look around online for photos of any black R6 and see what their lines look like. If you have any post up!

Thanks everyone. I'll update the thread when I decide. Likely going to buy in the next two weeks. Install may have to wait until it's warmer out though.

·
Registered
77 Posts
For the all black R6 I would go clear or maybe even blue??

Thoughts on white lines/black bolts on a yamaha blue R6.. ?

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
i LOVE the white lines. when dannyjames did a white set of kevlar lines for his 09, it was the first time i'd seen em. they were clean as all get out. i've recommended them a few times since then, and this most recent group buy, a fellow bought a set of white lines, red fittings, and they were SUPER clean.

·
Registered
77 Posts
i LOVE the white lines. when dannyjames did a white set of kevlar lines for his 09, it was the first time i'd seen em. they were clean as all get out. i've recommended them a few times since then, and this most recent group buy, a fellow bought a set of white lines, red fittings, and they were SUPER clean.
I think you may have sold me on doing the rear break line as well just for looks haha. The bike is all black/yamaha blue going with black sets, levers damper is black the white should look clean for sure.

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
I think you may have sold me on doing the rear break line as well just for looks haha. The bike is all black/yamaha blue going with black sets, levers damper is black the white should look clean for sure.
well keep an eye out - i'll start it up shortly after the new years. you can pick which "level" line (type) and depending on what type, you can choose your lines and banjo color. :D

·
Premium Member
17,965 Posts
well keep an eye out - i'll start it up shortly after the new years. you can pick which "level" line (type) and depending on what type, you can choose your lines and banjo color. :D
If you have some for around the $100 mark I will take a set.

My question is, what is the difference between the cheaper and more expensive sets from Fren? I'm sure they are good quality coming from the same company, would someone like me notice any difference at the track(Beginner/Inter level - read:Noob)?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts