Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
heebiedabajeebies!
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
What do you guys feel or think about this Exhaust system? And how does it compare with the Akra Evo full system? How does it sound? Is it loud (compared to Akra or D&D or Devil or Hindle).
If you guys can give me any inputs that would be great!
Thanks
Mike[/b]

·
Registered
273 Posts
I've heard this exhaust on a 954RR. The sound is comparable to the Akra pipe. Fit and finish on his bike are of good quality.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
I don't think there is much that is louder than D&D. Basically a cover over a straight pipe. To loud if you ask me. I've heard alot of good things about Arata systems and their quality as DarkR6 said. Haven't seen a side by side comparison of it vs others though......

·
heebiedabajeebies!
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for replying you guys, I am sorry i keep posting stuff about exhaust systems it is just that it's so hard to pick the right one being a newbie in motorcycles. I just started riding 4 months ago and shopping around for exhaust system is overwhelming since there are so many. And it would have helped if i had hands on experience with some brands. So having this forums and some sites are pretty helpful. So far it is still hard to decide!. I mean if it would help no narrow it down. I just want power on the lower band and having a nice deep tone, high mount and carbon but titanium would work with titanium midpipe.

·
Registered
293 Posts
those aratas look so badass, i love them. my buddy has a leo vinci on his 600 rr and it is the best sounding pipe i have heard yet. has anyone tried one on a r6?

·
Registered
330 Posts
From what all the R1 guys say teh Arata is very good BUT if you want power low down you DO NOT want a full system - just check out the dynos posted online

A full system will loose low and mid power and gain at the top (but only a couple or three bhp more than a slip on) If you do not plan to do lots of tuning on the engine a full system is a waste of money

A good slip on will save weight, gain power all teh way through and cost half what a full system does. Obviously I think (and the magazine tests agree) that Wolf make the best slip ons (we beat Akrapovic, Remus, Yoshi etc in the test) BUT, whatever you end up buying make it a slip on if you want low end power or you will be very disappointed.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
From what all the R1 guys say teh Arata is very good BUT if you want power low down you DO NOT want a full system
This is because a full system removes the R1's Exup valve, your R6 does not have an Exup valve so this does not apply to you. A full system is the way to go for the R6

·
Registered
330 Posts
jasamb - NO it's not the exup it's whole config - just look at teh dyno charts Akrapovic produce - the same bike on teh same dyno so a really good comparisson and teh full system is down on teh slip on in teh mid range.... this is true of every manufacturer.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I stand corrected.

What then would be the benefit of full system?

High end power only?

Under normal street conditions, a full system seems like a hard sell given this fact. More money spent for less power in the middle?

What is the significance of the R1's Exup valve is it purely an emissions thing?

·
Registered
330 Posts
A full system gives better (marginally) high end power and is the starting point to unleash more if you plan to have lots of other stuff done but on a street bike it is pointless IMO

The exup is a power thing, in ver basic terms a 4-2-1 promotes mid range and a 4-1 high end power - the exup was developed to mimic both depending on teh rev range you are at

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
So is it correct to assume that removing the exup valve would change the power curves? And if so, why are aftermarket exhaust companies not building full systems that contain new or re-use the existing exup?

·
Registered
330 Posts
removing the exup on an R1 will lower mid range power unless you use other tricks to compensate somewhat

The reason aftermarket companies dont do the exup thing in general is that it a compromise - you cannot get teh same peak power with a an exup and they assume that if you're buying a full race system it is for that - racing - so peak power is vital. Also, it's not cheap to put an exup valve in and aftermarket exhaust makers scrape a meagre living from what is a very small market with very high R&D costs... :)

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
So bottom line- for street use, slip on is the way to go???

For any bike?????

·
Registered
273 Posts
xr6ross said:
those aratas look so badass, i love them. my buddy has a leo vinci on his 600 rr and it is the best sounding pipe i have heard yet. has anyone tried one on a r6?
I've got it standard mount carbon fiber slip-on! First rate quality materials and fit is perfect!!! Sounds AWESOME!!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
the EXUP controls the flow of exhaust gas.. lower rpms, u want reduce the airflow, at higher rpms, u want better airflow... the exhausts without any form of control of the rate of airflow, will 'mainly' be power only at a certain range.. u reduce the diameter of the pipe, u get better power in the lower range(at higher rpms, the engine cant 'exhale' very well). increase it, u get power in the top(lower rpms, little backpressure, causing lean mixtures/power loss).. but as u should already know, engines need a certain backpressure to prevent itself from running lean.. too much backpressure, u'll be spitting soot.. when u're talking about aftermarket pipes, especially full systems, these manufacturers dont make them just to specifically replace ur original system.. they are mostly built with racing in mind, not just replacing the original systems(explaining why their targets are mostly horsepower/torque).. however i have seen/heard of a few manufacturers who made their exhausts which actually increases mid-range and lower range.. some even to soften the power deliver.. one example that i do know of, is the fmf powerbomb for the KTM 525.. the bike is too torquey, so they actually made it so that it becomes more driveable.. which actually means they reduced the torque/power for the low/mid range.. correct me if i am wrong.

·
Registered
121 Posts
what rubbish. A good ful system and a map written for it (just standard things you would do) do not lose power as you can see by my dyno chart for the R1. The exup valve is for emissions only, remove it and get the fueling right and you will have more power period. Enjoy

and the slip ons

1 - 17 of 17 Posts