Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a question about the ruffness of the shifting on the 1st gen 6's . It felt this way when I bought it 4000 miles ago and has been to two mechanics for tires / safety overviews and no comment about its shifting was made. Reason I ask is because I'm storing my buddies 1999 CBR F4 in my shed for him for the winter and told him I would start it up every week and ride it around te block when weather allows . Today I took is his for a spin and the shifting was completely different . His was fairly quiet . So should I be concerned or are the 1st gens just this way . Shifting at stop. N to 1 it pops when it goes into gear . Normal ?

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
normal.

·
Stop talking and Ride
160 Posts
Ya know, i had a guy tell me this tonight, and was going on and on about his his 6 that he has worked is the worst shifting bike he's ever had and so on. To prove a point i then beat a gsxr-750 4 times in a row.

:secret i just dont think he can ride

·
let her scream
71 Posts
+1 mine grinds going into first when slowing down.....normal

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
yea i was realy sketchy about my 03 at first, like u said, shifting between 1-2 and down from 2 to 1 its real loud and sort of rough.
after riding a friends 2004 i guess its just the way the 6's are.

·
Premium Member
13,349 Posts
+1 mine grinds going into first when slowing down.....normal
yea i was realy sketchy about my 03 at first, like u said, shifting between 1-2 and down from 2 to 1 its real loud and sort of rough.
after riding a friends 2004 i guess its just the way the 6's are.
I have found that it is a lot smoother if you RPM match when going from 2nd to 1st

·
Premium Member
20,431 Posts

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I have found that it is a lot smoother if you RPM match when going from 2nd to 1st
well yea.. a lot smoother but still nothing compared to other bikes. I ride a 04 gsxr sometimes and it feels 100% different to shift, much easier and smoother.

If you dont rpm match at all thats just gonna jerk the bike and be really shitty shift.

·
190rwhp......:eek5
10,295 Posts
:yes

Ive ridden a lot of different styles/kinds of bikes and thought I didnt like a clunky trans shift until I rode one that was mushy and very numb...

When riding those...youre kinda always wondering if it went into the next gear or not...

Id take a clunky shift over a mushy one any day...

·
Premium Member
20,431 Posts
:yes

Ive ridden a lot of different styles/kinds of bikes and thought I didnt like a clunky trans shift until I rode one that was mushy and very numb...

When riding those...youre kinda always wondering if it went into the next gear or not...

Id take a clunky shift over a mushy one any day...
:laugh its kinda like a hurst shifter in a muscle car. When it's in gear you know it...

·
190rwhp......:eek5
10,295 Posts
:laugh its kinda like a hurst shifter in a muscle car. When it's in gear you know it...
Thats exactly it...Munsey 4 speed with a hayes triple disk clutch on a 388 stroker....ahhhhh, those were the days...

·
Jesus Reigns
4,398 Posts
Yeah I get grinding somtimes going into first, but usually its because im shifting into first going over 40mph or so. Best to rpm match like 06r6'n said.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Such good news . At first I thought I bought a lemon. I bought her this year in not running condition and it's been a overtime whore getting her up . Not that I would turn my back on my little bundle of love but I'd rather spend my hard earned money on gas . Thanks guys . :toocool:

·
Stanly the Manly
935 Posts
While we're on the subject, I'm thinking this is probably normal, but does anyone have an issue shifting down though several gears without releasing the clutch? I.E. practicing emergency stops from 6th gear, then shifting down to 1st at a standstill.

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
Thats exactly it...Munsey 4 speed with a hayes triple disk clutch on a 388 stroker....ahhhhh, those were the days...
man you know how expensive those muncie 4 speeds are? holy shit I sold a used one without a bellhousing for $700 on ebay. I bought it for $150 from the junk yard.

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
While we're on the subject, I'm thinking this is probably normal, but does anyone have an issue shifting down though several gears without releasing the clutch? I.E. practicing emergency stops from 6th gear, then shifting down to 1st at a standstill.
yes. I've asked all kinds of people about this and the general consensus is it's normal. I watch the pros videos and they are letting it out to downshift too.
I don't know if the newer bikes with a slipper clutch helps with it or not.

·
Stanly the Manly
935 Posts
yes. I've asked all kinds of people about this and the general consensus is it's normal. I watch the pros videos and they are letting it out to downshift too.
I don't know if the newer bikes with a slipper clutch helps with it or not.
Thats what I thought, but I was hoping there was some easy fix cause it can be annoying in some situations. thanks.

·
Le Troll
3,335 Posts
Thats what I thought, but I was hoping there was some easy fix cause it can be annoying in some situations. thanks.
I had already done a bit of research on your question (downshifting multiple gears at once) and had found that most bikes don't like it too much.

I haven't experienced it first hand, but many riders that habitually pull up to red lights in high gears, stop, then downshift to first have had some tranny problems in the long run. Over time it seems to wear engine/tranny components down.

Just saying this from word of mouth though.

But sometimes on my 250 if i did this downshifting in an emergency stop, the shifting feels weird for a little after the incident.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts