Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says, are keyless gas caps illegal? I bought a halo cap for my bike but the packaging says “for off-road and track use only.” I’m in MA and can’t find anything saying it’s not allowed for street bikes.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
689 Posts
Well here in Commiefornia, it very well could be... I ordered a scotts oil filter and the company back east cancelled my order because they can't ship "pollution control devices" to me. Duh oil filters aren't pollution controlled. Gas caps could negate my fuel vapor evap system so I probably can't use one.

·
Super Moderator
113 Posts
No they are not illegal. I've had one on all of my bikes since 2000. (2000, 2005, 2010, 2015)

Reactions: zaidb015

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
There's a safety factor to the locking fuel cap in that, it helps guard against the human error, of forgetting to secure the gas cap. We've all seen cages rolling down the street with gas cap missing and/or the fuel door wide open. Motorcycles also have a lot of vibration so you don't necessarily want one that screws tight. I've also noticed, that while everything else on the bike is basically plastic and aluminum to save weight, that tank has remained steel... which is a minor nuisance because it dents. I believe the key-lock cap and steel tank are all aimed at minimizing the chance of leak and rupture.

Saying that they're keyless, implies that the only difference between OEM and replacement, is the fact that they don't have the extra security. It's not illegal to sell a vehicle without a key-lock gas cap, why would it be illegal for a motorcycle to have one? Sure, there may be some line of code on the books that says something to the effect of, 'no part of the fuel storage system is to be modified', but the spirit of any such clause, wouldn't really apply to security; it would merely be in reference to changes that could compromise the reliability and/or safety of that storage system. (gasoline is a flammable, combustable, contaminant)

Bottom line, no, it isn't illegal and even if it were, so the f**k what? Anyone giving any crap about it will be promptly ignored. If it's some state inspector gone N*zi, go to a different bureau. (but don't let him/er know you're doing that) Now if they have a valid explanation that passes the smell test, that's another matter. But absent of that, it's just inviting a brief weird stare followed by a shrinking view of the back of my head.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
689 Posts
My tank is aluminum... allegedly first year with one. Oem cap for me combined with evap controls is a joke. I smell fuel vapor on summer days leaking through my cap. I do like that it can't shut without the key so if I'm riding I know it's shut. (Only.got one key brand new)... or of course scrupilous people wanting to tamper with the tank can't without it known to the owner before running the engine.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
@mordantly - Re aluminum tank, yours is a 17 right? Finally!

Re fuel vapor, fuel when not under pressure, evaporates very rapidly. So if it's coming from underneath, you're not necessarily going to see it. Second gen (my '08S) has two tip-vents with rubber hoses that extend it, running down the left side of the bike by the coolant reservoir. Everytime I remove the tank, I have to cap-off every port, every line, as the garage will start wreaking of fumes otherwise. Uncapping the vents after some days results with a loud hissing sound, lasting for a second or few. So that tells me my cap is sealing well. I never smell fuel from it, unless I leave something uncapped while the tank sits disconnected.

Cali-model bikes (like cars) will have these vapors absorted into a charcoal cannister and its emissions, pulled back into the air intake and fuel tank. Might look for a fault in that evap system.
Just speaking in general, it's not unheard of, to have a faulty fuel cap. Back when we had emisssions testing on cars, the tester had me replace mine. You can order a replacement or temporarily cap-off your vents if you suspect the evap system.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
689 Posts
Yes, very convenient to take the tank off half full and it doesn't weight very much. I suspect my rubber seal on my cap is junk. It is definitely the cap or vent check valve in my case... Not interested in taking it to the only other dealer within 2.5 hrs of me to fix it under warranty. Is the tank pressurized? I don't have a fuel return from the pump unless it's integral with pump housing.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Sitting in a cool garage, could try capping off everything then moving it out in to the direct sun, to heat up and pressurize the tank. If after several hours, you're still smelling (non spilled) fuel, it's a safe bet that it's your cap seal. If you're able to pull off only the vent caps without any hiss from pressure exchange, that would serve as further confirmation. Note that there's a lot of fuel in the bike's line too; plus don't want any debris in it. So it's either cap or/and separate the tank from the bike to avoid misleading the olfactories.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Like the title says, are keyless gas caps illegal? I bought a halo cap for my bike but the packaging says “for off-road and track use only.” I’m in MA and can’t find anything saying it’s not allowed for street bikes.
Never heard of that brand... does it have a vent like the stock cap does?
For me keyless caps are great cause I never have to shut my bike off to refuel. I prefer them. Ive never lost one either.
I have seen where folks got some "CHYNAH" cap then did a wheelie and got a lap full of gas... so theres that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts