Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
My R1 eats me.
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm currently looking to buy an R6 or a GSX 600. I'm really leaning towards the R6 because I love the way they look. I'm wondering how comfortable the R6's are. I know I have to get on one to see for myself but until then I need some input.

I'm 6' 170lbs and I would be using the bike for fun/casual riding. Mainly riding around my city, riding to the beach ect and occasionally riding 45 min on the highway to my summer house. How comfortable are these bikes in your guys opinion?

If you have also rode a GSX 600 how does it stack up in comfort compared to the R6?

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
"comfortable" ?? not at all.
For what you describe the use would be, buy a cruiser or dual sport. Something like a hyper motard. WAY fun. The r6 (especially the 3rd gen) is a race bike that happens to be street legal.

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
Go to bike night. Make friends. Ride all their bikes.

Ridick - Skeet Skeet Skeet!!!!

·
Masshole
159 Posts
Out of the 600's an R6 is the least comfortable. However, if you are like me you get used to it. Eventually you can ride for long trips no problem. Last year I was riding 350 miles straight(except for fuel stops) at least 2 or 3 times a month with no issues. I might be the exception though.

For street a GSXR600 is a great bike. More upright position and better in the low and mid range. If you like to keep it in the higher rpms the R6 screams and is a blast to ride.

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
"comfortable" ?? not at all.
For what you describe the use would be, buy a cruiser or dual sport. Something like a hyper motard. WAY fun. The r6 (especially the 3rd gen) is a race bike that happens to be street legal.
I came in here to say this.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just got my 2008 R6, previous bike was a Ninja 300. I use it to play around and commute 70 miles once a week. My first commute left me with a sore back. Getting uses to the clip ons has been hard on my wrists, but I've learned better weight distribution, so that's not an issue anymore. Now that my body is used to the positioning, I actually find it more comfortable on the highway than my Ninja was. The ergos are laid out for you to tuck, and it works great for me on a 70 mile interstate commute.

·
Living The Dream
3,806 Posts
80-100+ miles a day i thought it was comfortable...sometimes your lower back gets kinda uncomfortable...but its not bad..also have riden to vegas a few times and san diego plenty of time....best upgrade for comfort are seat and oury grips :fact

·
pin it to win it
8,093 Posts
Its not bad I've logged 10+ hour trips. For beach cruising and what you described a supermoto would be so fun. Way cheaper to own as well.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Comfortable compared to what? Probably more comfortable than getting BF'd by a spiked baseball bat, but pretty much less comfortable than any motorcycle but an Italian sportbike.

You're pretty tall, so it might work out better than a GSXR, but you won't know until you sit on both of them.

·
My zx6r eats tires.
553 Posts
Between the two, the gsxr has a more 'set in' upright feel. The r6 is terrible unless you know proper riding position/technique. Neither are "comfortable" though.

·
My zx6r eats tires.
553 Posts
80-100+ miles a day i thought it was comfortable...sometimes your lower back gets kinda uncomfortable...but its not bad..also have riden to vegas a few times and san diego plenty of time....best upgrade for comfort are seat and oury grips :fact
This^^^

1 - 20 of 25 Posts