Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellas, I just installed my Armour Bodies bodywork on my 2010 R6. The install and git has been great, of the 3 types i have experience with this has been the best quality and fit so far.

Question, for those who have the bodywork, how did you install the windscreen? I have a zero gravity windscreen and the tabs at the very bottom do not line up with the mold. it pushes it up from the bottom and leave a little gap. Are you supposed to grind off the tabs on the windscreen? or cut slots into the fairing?

·
track junkie
2,257 Posts
i've been installing the same kit on my 09 r6. haven't got my screen in the mail yet, but i was wondering the same thing after looking at the stock screen.

also, how did you affix the bottom half of the tail section to the top half? any pics? this is my first fairing install...

s3aturnr

·
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't actually installed my tail yet but I will be using Dzus D-Rings. In the past i have just used the push pin rivets off the stock R6 fairings and I have never had an issue BUT i think the D-Rings will be more secure.

i've been installing the same kit on my 09 r6. haven't got my screen in the mail yet, but i was wondering the same thing after looking at the stock screen.

also, how did you affix the bottom half of the tail section to the top half? any pics? this is my first fairing install...

s3aturnr

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm in the same boat.. will be tackling on an '09.. and using the Dzus fasteners (rivet style)..
going to follow the write up on the board already but.. of course my results usually vary haha

·
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I called Woodcraft as they are the US distributors and they told me just to bolt it right up and that it was ok to have the gap. The guy I talked didn't fill me with confidence that he knew what he was talking about. But if this is what you are a really supposed to do that's fine it's just a pretty poor fit if you as me for a kit whose fitament is near perfect everywhere else. I tried calling their Armour Bodies headquarters and got no answer and their mailbox was full... dang candadians:sing

·
Pin it to win it!
358 Posts
Yes grind the tabs off the Zero Gravity. That's what I did and have been happy with the fitment. You could cut holes in the upper for the windscreen to slot into, but that wouldn't be my first choice.

·
Registered
821 Posts
When I installed mine I had the same issue. The whole kit fit great, but the windscreen sat cockeyed as the holes did not line up well!
BTW, DZUS is the way to go

·
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's what I did and it fit's great. Thanks Parapuke. For those considering the armour bodies kit you will need to do this to have a clean fit of the windscreen. I have a grinding wheel and I was done in 5 minutes.

Yes grind the tabs off the Zero Gravity. That's what I did and have been happy with the fitment. You could cut holes in the upper for the windscreen to slot into, but that wouldn't be my first choice.

·
Pin it to win it!
358 Posts
Just FYI this is required for probably most bodywork. I've mounted Sharkskinz and Armour Bodies this way with the windscreen. Most companies don't want to put extra holes in there product and since the windscreen tabs aren't really necessary, this is what they do.

·
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good to know, i have worked with FBW (factory bodyworks) a and the FBW doesn't have the faux dash like the Armour bodies one so you just tuck the entire front of the screen under the body.

Just FYI this is required for probably most bodywork. I've mounted Sharkskinz and Armour Bodies this way with the windscreen. Most companies don't want to put extra holes in there product and since the windscreen tabs aren't really necessary, this is what they do.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I used the puig windscreen with my 2008 and had no fitment issues. Armour bodies is the nicest set of bodywork that I have installed. No cutting or grinding necessary.

·
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah the puig screens don't have the tabs like the Zero Gravity or stock ones do. But I agree one of the best fitting kits i have seen.

I used the puig windscreen with my 2008 and had no fitment issues. Armour bodies is the nicest set of bodywork that I have installed. No cutting or grinding necessary.

·
My R6 eats Wheaties.
122 Posts
Puig FTW. I have the Puig Z screen, looks awesome and fits great on the Armour Bodies on my 08.

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
fyi, zero gravity makes a "race specific" screen that doesn't have the tabs and instead of the wavy design to fit the mirrors, it's just a flat tab so you can secure it to the fairing stay better.

·
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Didn't know that, i will probably pick up another screen when it's time to paint the fairings.

fyi, zero gravity makes a "race specific" screen that doesn't have the tabs and instead of the wavy design to fit the mirrors, it's just a flat tab so you can secure it to the fairing stay better.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts