Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am a new rider only for almost 4 weeks with an 08r6, and i asked this guy name Big Chuck whats the best way to position yourself when you corner, and he replied Throttle Control.

im still not pro at my shit yet, but damn i had no idea thats the first major step.

what does everyone else think?

·
My R6 eats my $$
414 Posts
yeah im a noob also, just got my 08 about 2 weeks ago, been riding almost every day. Hadn't really had anyone teach me how to ride, just kinda got on it and did it, worked well for me, im feeling better and better about riding every day. I still have a looooooong ways to go though, i love the bike though

·
Registered
119 Posts
i am a new rider only for almost 4 weeks with an 08r6, and i asked this guy name Big Chuck whats the best way to position yourself when you corner, and he replied Throttle Control.

im still not pro at my shit yet, but damn i had no idea thats the first major step.

As in its your first bike, and its an 08 R6? If so, id say your best way to learn to ride is to ride. Get some hours!

If its a new bike, an update, id go with body positioning. Throttle for sure to, be smooth. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.... practice

·
kiwi rider
315 Posts
read twist of the wrist this explains throttle control in corners and how this effect suspension and tyre adhesion lernt a lot from this book and i have been riding for a few years

·
Its Only a 600?
319 Posts
target fixation and looking through the corner helped me alot when i first started riding.

·
Zombies may bite!!!!
1,182 Posts
Long time ago in a galaxy far far away when I first learned how to ride what I did was, found the best riders in town, mostly a group who raod racers who raced south east CCS and buddied up with them. Asked them to take me out and teach me the ways of the force.

I let them know I was new and that I wanted to learn as much as I could as safly as I could. I asked them if I could go out with them on slower days where I could keep up. A lot of the time they were just happy to have another person to ride with.

I kept my mouth shut most of the time and just rode trying to keep up. Watching their lines and asking questions along the way at gas stations and food stops.

After a year of riding with them every weekend and some nights, I ended up taking a racing class at Roebling road in GA, racing that same weekend and not doing to bad for syself that weekend.

From then on I was hooked on racing and still think of those guys who took my under their wing and helped me out.

Just think if I didn't have the guts to ask them to take me along I mite not be riding to this day.

·
Mr. B (Florida Boy)
1,535 Posts
Take an MSF course man, it will get you a good foothold in the basics and you can then improve upon what they teach you there. From there you can practice and improve on those skills..remember...the only way to go is up from this point! :D

·
Registered
296 Posts
The best thing you can do is a track day. I learned how to ride on dirt bikes as a kid. Good base but nothing like a street bike. Rode on the street for 2 years and learned a lot. Thought I knew what I was doing.

Did a track day last week. I have 100% more control over the bike now then I ever have !!! When you learn to snap the bike from full right to full left at 70 mph.....anything on the street is kids play in compairison. Im no pro but, I am better than most of my buddies with many more years of street riding and no track time.

Hope this helps
DK

·
Registered
40 Posts
A major thing is gettin off the bike a bit and looking faaaar into the corner. object fixation will wreck your day and you'll ride like ish if not worse. throttle control is big too though. LOOK LEAN AND BELIEVE my man

·
Premium Member
18,792 Posts

Your friend gave you the best advice you could have possibly gotten. Make sure you enter corners with a speed you are comfortable with and can control. Others are posting other attributes you need to do as well, but throttle control is the best thing you can do. Don't ride beyond your limits.

·
I sold my R6
229 Posts
Slow- slow down to a speed you can take a corner
Look- look through the corner, not straight ahead or down
Press- press the handle bars in the direction you want to go
Roll- maintain your speed or slightly increase
That helped me greatly.

·
Forum Moderator
3,097 Posts
The best thing you can do is a track day. I learned how to ride on dirt bikes as a kid. Good base but nothing like a street bike. Rode on the street for 2 years and learned a lot. Thought I knew what I was doing.

Did a track day last week. I have 100% more control over the bike now then I ever have !!! When you learn to snap the bike from full right to full left at 70 mph.....anything on the street is kids play in compairison. Im no pro but, I am better than most of my buddies with many more years of street riding and no track time.

Hope this helps
DK
I totally agree. Do a track day as a novice and you will learn so much about your riding skill, how to improve it and you will really get to know your bike inside and out. There will be tons of riders willing to help you out. Money well spent.

·
Registered
160 Posts
yeh - simply - don't twist your ass off the bike like a squid. chest front and centered, stick your head to the direction you're turning around or passed the side view mirror, your knee is about 45 degrees parallel to the bike (If you're not scared, stick the side of your ass that's closest to the corner off the seat, the other part of the ass sits center) and countersteer when you turn at highspeed (this means, push the grip that is closest to the corner and your bike leans and your knee drops, bada bing, bada boom).

more you push the bar, more you drop, more knee time you get, less chicken strips (whatever this signifies, yuk)

this is how I learned it. If you take your hands off of the bike, you won't fall off when you lean (when you're practicing on a standing bike - which is harder than running bike) because your body position is centered and balanced.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts