Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Zombiecologist
14,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, here's the deal. I have/think I have asthma since i was about 12. I have never really had a problem with it and it was only ever noticable if I ran a long distance in cold weather.

Officially:

I have never had an asthma attack. Nor have I seen a doctor specifically for asthma. The only reason I even say I have asthma is because my parents mentioned it to my childhood doctor that I had a light problem breathing when I performed excericses in the cold (meaning 40 and below). So the doctor said I might have asthma and perscribed me one just incase it was and I ever needed it. Well, I never have, except to use when working out/excercising (man does albuterol let the adrenaline flow). The only time i ever got a new inhaler was because my previous one expired. I don't know if I am diagnosed with it, I just know that a doctor perscribed me with an inhaler.

So, my question of course is....

Should I mention that I have asthma to the recruiter/Meps doc's. If I do would that prohibit my ability to serve in the special forces EVEN IF i had a waiver of approval for my asthma.

Thanx for the help guys,
Phantom

·
Zombiecologist
14,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Noodlestorm said:
you dont have asthma. you dont even know what asthma is. these are not the droids you are looking for. :popcorn:

You may pass. move along.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
weve already covered this in several of your threads. they wont even look at you if you admit you have, or ever had, asthma. that said, lie your ass off. i had childhood asthma, i lied, i got in, now when i get sick and sometimes cant breath, i go to medical, and they issue me the exact same medication that i used to get when i was a kid. dont ever admit you had it though, theyll bust you for fraudulent enlistment. on the first or second day theyll sweat you, to try to get you to admit something, dont fall for it.

·
Zombiecologist
14,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Manoah said:
weve already covered this in several of your threads. they wont even look at you if you admit you have, or ever had, asthma. that said, lie your ass off. i had childhood asthma, i lied, i got in, now when i get sick and sometimes cant breath, i go to medical, and they issue me the exact same medication that i used to get when i was a kid. dont ever admit you had it though, theyll bust you for fraudulent enlistment. on the first or second day theyll sweat you, to try to get you to admit something, dont fall for it.

Several of my threads? you mean my College/Military thread? Either way, I posted it to get a straight answer on the subject from you guys. not a hidden answer mixed in the middle of a smartass sandwhich from noodz, johhny,colt,nick,etc. lol. Thanx for the input. I just have a hard time lying thats all. lol

·
Premium Member
18,792 Posts
If you want in the military just say you've never had asthma. It's that simple. And don't ever give it another thought. I can tell you I had guys in Iraq who had asthma and we sure as hell didn't kick them out.

And the military doesn't bust anyone for fraudulent for saying they never had asthma. Can they? Yes. Do they? Never. But what the military can do is medically discharge you if you have an attack while on active duty.

·
Zombiecologist
14,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Paytheon said:
If you want in the military just say you've never had asthma. It's that simple. And don't ever give it another thought. I can tell you I had guys in Iraq who had asthma and we sure as hell didn't kick them out.

And the military doesn't bust anyone for fraudulent for saying they never had asthma. Can they? Yes. Do they? Never. But what the military can do is medically discharge you if you have an attack while on active duty.
thats what i have heard is that its very rare for someone to get discharged due to fraudeulent info. They usually get demoted if that, or a slap on the wrist.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Paytheon said:

only because its easier that way.

·
Premium Member
18,792 Posts
Phantom said:
thats what i have heard is that its very rare for someone to get discharged due to fraudeulent info. They usually get demoted if that, or a slap on the wrist.
Actually, from I've seen in 24 years is they actually do nothing. They willl sometimes discharge you (Honorably) if the asthma is to severe. You won't get demoted for it (that's not to say they can't punish you - I've never seen the military go that direction).

·
Zombiecologist
14,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Paytheon said:
Actually, from I've seen in 24 years is they actually do nothing. They willl sometimes discharge you (Honorably) if the asthma is to severe. You won't get demoted for it (that's not to say they can't punish you - I've never seen the military go that direction).
Alright, thanx a bunch guys. That definetly helped relieve a massive load of worry. So i guess the verdict is, Don't say anything. I guess its not lying if I don't really know if I have asthma right?:sing

·
NOT DoD Blocked
5,605 Posts
Phantom said:
Alright, here's the deal. I have/think I have asthma since i was about 12. I have never really had a problem with it and it was only ever noticable if I ran a long distance in cold weather.

Officially:

I have never had an asthma attack. Nor have I seen a doctor specifically for asthma. The only reason I even say I have asthma is because my parents mentioned it to my childhood doctor that I had a light problem breathing when I performed excericses in the cold (meaning 40 and below). So the doctor said I might have asthma and perscribed me one just incase it was and I ever needed it. Well, I never have, except to use when working out/excercising (man does albuterol let the adrenaline flow). The only time i ever got a new inhaler was because my previous one expired. I don't know if I am diagnosed with it, I just know that a doctor perscribed me with an inhaler.

So, my question of course is....

Should I mention that I have asthma to the recruiter/Meps doc's. If I do would that prohibit my ability to serve in the special forces EVEN IF i had a waiver of approval for my asthma.

Thanx for the help guys,
Phantom
Asthma makes you PMR Permanent Military Rejected

·
Registered
803 Posts
If you have a asthma attack after the age of 13, you are not capable of enlisting, well that is what my recruiter told me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts