Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
YZF-er!
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My ASV levers came installed with my bike when I originally picked her up. The levers are black and came with red adjustment wheels. My bike, however, has a gold Ohlins damper and I just recently installed a 520 kit with gold chain.

I was looking the levers over the other night and saw the inner springs were a bit rusty SO, I ordered a new set of adjustment wheels, springs, and bearings for the springs.

Before:

After:

I took the levers apart, cleaned out every crevice throughly with WD-40, replaced the springs and bearings, and changed the adjustment wheels :toocool:

No more red! If anyone needs a pair of red adjustment wheels, let me know! :sing

520 kit after a nice clean/lube:

·
YZF-er!
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Killswitch and spring....

Just kidding. Looks nice!
Thanks man.

Haha I actually thought about the killswitch, but what can I do?

In terms of the spring, it's funny you bring that up. I COMPLETELY blacked out both of my 05's and the funny thing was that both had the blue cover over the rear spring. Now, the blue bike has red over the spring. Oh, the irony..! :laugh

EDIT: The spring was actually silver on the R1... bah!

·
Registered
875 Posts
Much better. ASV's rock

·
YZF-er!
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
looks good. Make sure you have enough chain slack though. Hard to tell in the pic, but that looks a bit tight.
Good eye, I was actually suppose to get that done earlier this week. Looks like I've got another errand to take care of tomorrow.. :rolleyes:

·
YZF-er!
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do what I can :) Also it's normally better to have it a bit on the loose side of the oem specs.
Duly noted. Hopefully I'll be able to sell my R1's K&N air filter tomorrow so that I can pick up one for the 6 and just get both issues taken care of at once.. time is of the essence these days.

·
YZF-er!
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Could you post a pic of the blacked out 05? I was pondering blacking mine out but could only photoshop it....

This is photoshop//
Don't have any photos, and no longer have 05 (they were all on my old comp). However, I do have some photos of the R1 (although not fully blacked out in them).

I'll tell you this, the bike looks sick. :YEA

I'd leave the red rim tape though as well as the yamaha emblems on the tank. The tank cap though, I took the whole thing apart and sprayed the middle part metallic black while spraying the outer circle flat back so as to give an outline between the middle cap and the tank itself. Note, you should sand down the original paint. I didn't myself, but I'm sure it will last a lot longer if you do.

It seems like you took off the decals off of the side fairing. If you haven't, and it's just photoshop, I suggest you do it but keep the decals somewhere safe and in good condition incase you ever want to put them back on.

Also, try taking your slip on apart and doing the same, just make sure you use the proper spray (one that works on heated components).

There's also a package for all of the fairing screws in which you can buy a whole set in black. I'm sure you can find a place to purchase them via google search.

Oh, and do yourself a favor and pick up a either light or dark tint Puig Double Bubble windscreen. Some may suggest going with a Zero Gravity double bubble but I've had both and the Puig is of MUCH better quality! :fact

Here's a photo of the R1 back when I was in the process of blacking her out:

Here, I've already painted the tank cap (although you can't see it from this angle), I've also painted the rear pegs, installed black Sato rearsets, Carbon GYTR's, double bubble, black flushmount turn signals, and with removed side decals.

At this point, I had planned on purchasing black shorty levers with black adjustments. A black 520 kit would have been nice as well.

Here's an older one at Angeles Crest while I was still deciding how far I wanted to take the blackout:

The key is having a fair balance. Luckily, we have the flat black to work with so it helps to even things out. If it was ALL metallic black, it would definitely not have came out as nice as it did. If anything, it would have looked a bit cheesy in my opinion (I actually knew someone who painted the side fairing metallic black :nono).

Let me know if you have any other questions, I'll do my best to help you out.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Looks nice!

As far as the killswitch, you could take apart the switch assembly and boil the red switch in some black rit dye.. $1.00 mod !

As for the spring, you could get it powder coated..

and x2 on posting some pics of the blacked out bike you mentioned!

·
YZF-er!
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks nice!

As far as the killswitch, you could take apart the switch assembly and boil the red switch in some black rit dye.. $1.00 mod !

As for the spring, you could get it powder coated..

and x2 on posting some pics of the blacked out bike you mentioned!
I'll take that into consideration, thanks.

Oh, and I did post some photos (go back to the first page, last post). Unfortunately, my desktop crashed a few years back with the photos on them and I had to have my comp reformatted.. :comp

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Thats sweet, I have the same levers with the red wheel. How much did it cost you to switch to gold?

·
Banned
3,295 Posts
Don't have any photos, and no longer have 05 (they were all on my old comp). However, I do have some photos of the R1 (although not fully blacked out in them).

I'll tell you this, the bike looks sick. :YEA

I'd leave the red rim tape though as well as the yamaha emblems on the tank. The tank cap though, I took the whole thing apart and sprayed the middle part metallic black while spraying the outer circle flat back so as to give an outline between the middle cap and the tank itself. Note, you should sand down the original paint. I didn't myself, but I'm sure it will last a lot longer if you do.

It seems like you took off the decals off of the side fairing. If you haven't, and it's just photoshop, I suggest you do it but keep the decals somewhere safe and in good condition incase you ever want to put them back on.

Also, try taking your slip on apart and doing the same, just make sure you use the proper spray (one that works on heated components).

There's also a package for all of the fairing screws in which you can buy a whole set in black. I'm sure you can find a place to purchase them via google search.

Oh, and do yourself a favor and pick up a either light or dark tint Puig Double Bubble windscreen. Some may suggest going with a Zero Gravity double bubble but I've had both and the Puig is of MUCH better quality! :fact

Here's a photo of the R1 back when I was in the process of blacking her out:

Here, I've already painted the tank cap (although you can't see it from this angle), I've also painted the rear pegs, installed black Sato rearsets, Carbon GYTR's, double bubble, black flushmount turn signals, and with removed side decals.

At this point, I had planned on purchasing black shorty levers with black adjustments. A black 520 kit would have been nice as well.

Here's an older one at Angeles Crest while I was still deciding how far I wanted to take the blackout:

The key is having a fair balance. Luckily, we have the flat black to work with so it helps to even things out. If it was ALL metallic black, it would definitely not have came out as nice as it did. If anything, it would have looked a bit cheesy in my opinion (I actually knew someone who painted the side fairing metallic black :nono).

Let me know if you have any other questions, I'll do my best to help you out.

Awesome! thanks for the info! I will def pm you if I got any questions... Just still dont know if I want to go all black, some people prefer how it is right now...

Decisions...

·
YZF-er!
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thats sweet, I have the same levers with the red wheel. How much did it cost you to switch to gold?
About $45 with shipping and all, they even sent me a free set of springs/bearings to replace the old ones. Customer service was right on. :flex:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts