Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Boobs and Bikes
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am relatively new to this forum, but I am bored and I wanted to do a quick post about dips. I have dipped my R6 and my old Ninja many times and I want everyone to know about what I use instead of Plasti Dip.

The first time I dipped a bike it was my ninja 250, the result was terrible.. The plasti-dip was textured in lots of places. And even the parts that did not have texture were not that smooth. It made my ninja feel like a giant black eraser.

I live in Canada so we have a similar product called Protect_Dip, the price is a bit steeper and the can doesn't hold quite as much dip but it is still enough. The thing I instantly liked about Protect_Dip was that it almost always dries SMOOTH, even if you went over some spots unevenly it would all look the same when it dries. Even accidentally spraying from far away no texture showed up after dying. I am currently going to Dip my r6 and I highly recommend everybody to get Protect_Dip instead of Plasti-Dip.

Anybody else have textured experiences with Plasti Dip??

·
pin it to win it
8,082 Posts
I've plasti dipped my bike several times. It does have a rough texture, but I've gotten to the point where I can minimally it. Never heard of that other stuff

·
m3lover2
10,527 Posts
Thats called user error.

Plasti Dip works fine. Works even better when you get a quart and use a spray gun.

·
Boobs and Bikes
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
User error or not, if you use protect dip there is no error. I can spray close I can spray far. It always dries way smoother than plasti dip. Google it and have a look at their products :)

·
Boobs and Bikes
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So do I, but it is proven that protect dip is smoother than plasti dip. Even perfect coats of plasti dip are rough compared to protect dip

·
pin it to win it
8,082 Posts
Really it's a cheap cheap paint job. If it has texture oh well, it's not expensive or permanent. Just roll with it. If you want a mirror surface get a real paint job lol

·
Sharknato
132 Posts
Don't really give a crap bout the plati dip or plasti whatever but can you post some more pics of the chick in ur avatar lil buddy :)

·
I'm Batman
34 Posts
If you are in a cold area spraying put the cans in HOT WATER prior to spraying. Perhaps the material's viscosity is changing due to the temp of it, or ambient environment. Regardless the hot water will help lay a smooth finish as long as you are not spraying heavy

·
Weeeeeeeeeeeee
1,667 Posts
User error or the dip was too cold. I accidentally bought that protect dip shit and its semi clear and useless. doesn't matter if it goes on smooth if it doesn't cover correctly.

·
Boobs and Bikes
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's strange I've probably gone through at least 15 cans of protects dip and it covers well

·
New Rider
38 Posts
No matter which product you use, if it is too cold it will no go on smooth.....if you don't know what you are doing while spraying it, then it will come out crappy. I just sprayed my R6 with a custom color mix of plasti dip and mine came out very smooth. No texture at all. My fairings were unpainted to begin with but that won't make a difference. I have been using plasti dip for quite awhile now and have sprayed a few sets of fairings and a car or two.....all came out great. Maybe you are not coating it right. light coats for the first 2 and then put it on nice and thick.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts