Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 297 Posts

·
4.27sec 40yrd Dash
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This my way on installing Audi style LED on your R6.

(latest pic 9/20/10)

Short Video of it:

It cost me $10 for 30cm LED strip on ebay. Just search it on ebay as "LED pvc strip".
http://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?kw=led+pvc+strip&isNewKw=1&pgn=1&epp=24&mfs=SBCLK&acimp=0&itemId=null&cnm=&cid=&sqp=led+pvc+strip&_trksid=p2053742.m2428.l1313.TR1.TRC0.Xled+pvc+strip

It took me 15min or lil less to install it on one headlight.

I thought it be a easy way to do it like this because I didn't want to take apart my headlights. I've done the heating headlights in oven AND heat gun before in my cars and for friends. But this way is better and easy to replace "if" the lights go bad. This is so much less hassle in installing and for future replacement.

*you can mask tape the headlight and the surroundings of the headlamp just incase you might scratch.*

1. Take out the inner foam thin strip padding on the bottom half of the headlamp with small thin flat head screw driver.
2. I've tucked in the LED strip under the light. You can use small screw driver to pry and give little bigger gap to tuck it in. Adjust to desire setting on depth.
3. Wire it to your flushmounts for running lights or signal lights. That's it!!.
You might have to extend the wires from the LED to the flushmount wires.
(if u want both running and signal light then u will have to use a 5pin relay)

More pics to come in a few min. I am writing this while I wait in line at the DMV lol!

1. Take out inner thin foam. With flat head.

2. Tuck LED strip. U can use flat head to pry a little bigger gap like pic below. The ends will be tough so u will need to pry it open a little to make it easier on tucking in the LED. I would mask the headlamp and the area you are working with. It's a 'Just in case" thing for you might slip the screw driver and scartch the lamp or paint job.

3. Wire it to your flushmounts for runnings or signal lights..FINISH!...Yup That's It!!
You might have to extend the wires from the LED to the flushmount wires.

Enjoy your sick headlamps!

This one is just the led on, no headlamp on. Yes they are really that bright.

With my 6k HID on.

·
STOP riding the BRAKES!
1,886 Posts
I wonder how it'll hold up to rain, or washing it for that matter. If it's all good, might try these, but as turn signals. You really can't see my flush mounts.

Nice job! :yes

·
4.27sec 40yrd Dash
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Up dated pics in post #1

Thanks corndog. It should be ok because its suppost to be water proof. Make sure the led is waterproof. Oh and these are "NOT SMD LED". Smd is thin and won't stay in place. You can try smd if you want.

·
4.27sec 40yrd Dash
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Couple more pics added.

Post up if you will do this or when you do it. Other pics would be nice :) :) :)

Oh and you can tuck it on top instead of on bottom. Your prefrence. If you do that definitely post pics because I was debating to do that instead. But I chose traditional Audi.

·
formerly usmc08r6
1,314 Posts
yea i'm with corndog, this looks clean but how are they holding up to riding, or did you leave out some way of keeping them secure? if i end up doing this it'll be for turn signals as well probably since im planning on the projector mod

·
4.27sec 40yrd Dash
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea i'm with corndog, this looks clean but how are they holding up to riding, or did you leave out some way of keeping them secure? if i end up doing this it'll be for turn signals as well probably since im planning on the projector mod
The LED strips don't need tape. BUT you can use some kind of double sided tape(3M).

Trust me they are on there squeezed tight by the light and the fairing. *hence* that's why u have to pry it a little open because its tough to open it on the ends.

Here is the link to the LED strips.

http://stores.ebay.com:80/Formula-J87__W0QQ_fsubZ967924011

·
4.27sec 40yrd Dash
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
R6 2006
860 Posts
why not just put it inside the headlight, will hold up better that way

·
formerly usmc08r6
1,314 Posts
The LED strips don't need tape. BUT you can use some kind of double sided tape(3M).

Trust me they are on there squeezed tight by the light and the fairing. *hence* that's why u have to pry it a little open because its tough to open it on the ends.

Here is the link to the LED strips.

http://stores.ebay.com:80/Formula-J87__W0QQ_fsubZ967924011
:werd thanks, how did you wire them? straight to the battery or did you hook them up to something else? toggle switch maybe?

·
4.27sec 40yrd Dash
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
4.27sec 40yrd Dash
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:werd thanks, how did you wire them? straight to the battery or did you hook them up to something else? toggle switch maybe?

I wired it with my flushmount wires. This way I had a choice of running lights or just signal lights.

Speaking of this, does anyone know how to sync it with both running and signal lights?

·
what?
907 Posts
I wired it with my flushmount wires. This way I had a choice of running lights or just signal lights.

Speaking of this, does anyone know how to sync it with both running and signal lights?
If the LED strip had three wires then its possible, otherwise its only one or the other.

·
Premium Member
657 Posts

It can be done, but will require a 5 pin relay.

Wire the relay as follows:
Pin 30 to running light wire (flushmounts)
Pin 87a to power wire for LED's
Pin 87 has no connection (be sure to put a blank connector on it so it can't short)
Pin 85 to turn signal wire (flushmounts)
Pin 86 to ground
LED ground to ground.

the only catch is that the LED's and flushmounts will not flash together, they will be 100% opposite. 1 relay is required per side or you can pick up a Directed Electronics 451m.

·
Very Nice!!
152 Posts
It can be done, but will require a 5 pin relay.

Wire the relay as follows:
Pin 30 to running light wire (flushmounts)
Pin 87a to power wire for LED's
Pin 87 has no connection (be sure to put a blank connector on it so it can't short)
Pin 85 to turn signal wire (flushmounts)
Pin 86 to ground
LED ground to ground.

the only catch is that the LED's and flushmounts will not flash together, they will be 100% opposite. 1 relay is required per side or you can pick up a Directed Electronics 451m.
So let me see if i understand this?

I can use these as turn signals right... so i have flushmounts but they are only two wire not three with the running lights which is fine.

I could just wire them into the turn signals positive wire right, an then they would come on along with my flushies?

:confused:

·
formerly usmc08r6
1,314 Posts
So let me see if i understand this?

I can use these as turn signals right... so i have flushmounts but they are only two wire not three with the running lights which is fine.

I could just wire them into the turn signals positive wire right, an then they would come on along with my flushies?

:confused:

:stupic and i would assume also the ground

1 - 20 of 297 Posts