Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently in the process of installing a autoswitch on my 08 r6s. The problem that I seem to be having is I am confused if I have to hook up the bikes headlights to the relay or do I only have to hook up the rings to the relay without having to hook up the rings to the bikes wiring? seems pretty simple just kinda confused on the proper approach autoswitch model 5p any help would be great.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I am both the directions say to run the kit off the relay box but the indicator light doesn't come on also I am having a issue with the grounding due to the battery being the o.ky suitable place.the only reason I.decided to.install relay was to reduce the amount of juice going through the wires. Had it all hooked up before nd melted the internals on one of the ballasts. So I guess do I even need the relay or should I go with an online fuse?

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
you need both.
From what you are saying it sounds like you are trying to use the relays to work with a pair of HIDs.
You will need to run new heavy guage wires for the power, suggest 12 awg and put a fuse close to the battery on the positive side.
Put the existing headlight wires to + to 86 and - to 85. Run the - wire from the battery directly to the ballast, then run your + wire from the battery(fused) to pole 30 on the relay and then from pole 87 of the relay to the + side of your ballast.
Basically when there is no power at poles 85 and 86 then it is NO at poles 30 and 87 and then that goes NC when there is voltage at poles 85 and 86.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sweet that should make it real easy. The kit I bought for the halo rings came with the autoswitch that has the purple yellow black and red wires however judging by that website and what you told me I dont even need the auto switch. I will however hook up the relay. What kind of inline fuse should I use ampage wise? Thanks again for your help

·
Hakuna Matata, btches!
1,493 Posts
this is the diagram that i am gonna use for mine.....

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so by the look of your diagram it seems that you are powering the relay via battery and the autoswitch itself by the lowbeam harness. with no in line fuse, you dont think that you will melt wire and or connectors?

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
sweet that should make it real easy. The kit I bought for the halo rings came with the autoswitch that has the purple yellow black and red wires however judging by that website and what you told me I dont even need the auto switch. I will however hook up the relay. What kind of inline fuse should I use ampage wise? Thanks again for your help
Definitely put a fuse close to the battery on the positive side of the circuit. If it is just for halos then I would say 3 or 5 amp fuse....al depends on the draw.

I think that auto switch is so that the motorcycle will start first before the lights turn on that way you get full power for starting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts