Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Aux Fan on 99 R6

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  TapoutR6 
#1 ·
Recently my bike began to overheat, i did some troubleshooting myself and found that my thermal plug wasn't working and allowing my aux fan to kick on to help cool the bike. I replaced the plug and flushed my coolant. I started the bike last night and let it run at idle until the temp reached 211. The fan never came on!! Has anyone else had this problem, or does anyone know what what temp does that thermal plug allow the fan to come on? I know the fan works because when you unplug the connector from the back of the thermal plug and cross the two connectors, the fan kicks on. If anyone knows what the deal is with this please let me know!! -Thanx fellow R6ers- :twisted:

#3 ·
I have a 99 also, and I'm not sure when the fan kicks in. I know the other day iwas riding and i was stuck in traffic and the temp reached all the way to 230, and i didn't hear a fan turn on or anything. It went back down once i started to ride again.....should i be concerned?

#5 ·
I believe my fan kicks on at 212, and yes if your temp reaches 230 you should be concerned. the manual even tells you it should not get that hot. Let it idle til it gets closer to 220, then see if the fan still does not kick on.

#7 ·
My 02's fan kicked on last night at 219 at a light...I was getting worried until I saw the temp drop....Where is the instructions to manually turn the fan on?

D

#9 ·
I took my bike to the shop yesterday to check my fan, and it was broken. Thats why my fan wasn't turning on when it was supposed to. So they just swapped it out for another one for 25 bucks. But atleast the problem is fixed now.

They said they are seeing this problem a lot in the older r6's .... so if you have one....be sure and check it out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.