Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, im new here, already introduced myself, said i'll make a thread about my problem, so here it is.

Replaced the gearbox in my r6 (5EB), 2nd gear was shot, stripped the bike down, tore the engine apart following the haynes, then built it up again with the new gearbox remembering to prime the oil pump and lube up bearings etc.

Anyway put the engine back in, plumed the water pipes etc, the bike was complete again with no left over bolts! thats a first with me lol.
I turnt the key, puled down the choke, like normal, then pressed the starter and the motor started straight away, left the bike to idle and get up to temp sorted!

I came back the next day and checked the fluid levels, all was fine so started it up again, left it to idle up to temp gave it a few revs, sounded as it should, so decided to test if the clutch was ok, lever in, engaged 1st then the bike cut out, kept doing this for ages no matter how i adjusted the cable, so had a look at the haynes, turns out the inner clutch basket needs to be alighned, wooops!
Anyway sorted that and clutch was working as it should :D

Next day decided i would go get some petrol as it was a little low, got it out the garage, started it up, put on my gear etc, then set off to the station that was at the end of my road, all the gears worked fine, bike sounded mint, got to the station, put a tenner in the tank, payed, came back started the bike and i noticed a slight top end noise, like the cam chain was a little slack, thought it was odd, covered about 9ish miles and on the way back home coming up a hill the noise i heard suddenly progressed into a loud tapping/clacking then made an awefull screech!

I pulled the clutch in asap, the bike cut out and i coasted into a side road :(
luckily my house was litterally just up the road so pushed it back.

started it up the next day and made a little vid, the noise gets lots loader when it warms up, the noise itself seems to be coming from up the top where the cam gears are and the other side, not sure whats there to be honest.
Also checked the fluids prior to start up and they were the same, also no leaks anywhere.

the vid-http://s454.photobucket.com/albums/qq268/max-rs50/R6/?action=view&current=VIDEO0010.mp4

So i need suggestions from you guys as i dont know what to do next, i did do a search, but found ***** all, so i came to you guys :) essay over:YEA

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
did you remember to take the lock off the cam chain tensioner? Did you check to make sure there was proper tension on the cam chain when you had the cover off? If thats not it and youre sure its in the top end, you may have toasted a cam bearing which is easy to check once you remove the cam.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
didnt touch the tensioner, didnt even touch the cam chain, balls :(
i'll whip the cam cover and cam chain cover off and have a little look.

during the rebuild the engine was sat upside down for a while, think that would of done anything?
also you think if the oil pump stopped working would that fudge the cams aswell?

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
If you had the engine upside down and didnt change the timing, it probably isnt that, thought the CCT may still have gone bad. Check the tensioner first, as its pretty easy to check and change. I have heard of lots of folks flipping the engines over, so that wont be the problem.

If the oil pump stopped working, your whole motor is potentially fcuked depending on how long it was run with no lubrication. You should be able to tell fairly quickly though, especially in the cam bearings...or you can drain the oil and see if there is glitter in it. If there is, its probably a safe bet your motor is toast. Whatever you do, I dont recommend running it for any extended period of time until you have it figured out.

Honestly, it almost sounds like a cam or crank bearing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, i'll drain the oil, take the cam cover off and take out the cct, with the tensioner, do you jsut take it out, push it all the way in so it resets itself?

cheers for advice though :)

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
check the oil first. If there is glitter, you probably dont have to check the CCT... Check the CCT as per the manual directions and if there is any doubt, replace it. They wear out and can appear to work correctly when they dont. They come right out when you remove the hardware. You may have just had a really loose cam chain where the chain was wearing the guide through or slapping the cam cover or something. Hope for the best.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts