Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok,

2004 R6, put my jardine can on at 1000 miles, been running fine now at 8k miles. It seems as if the engine is laboring harder to get the same amount of power even slightly less power. I've also been getting alot more backfires than I did originally. i thought it might be the sparkplugs but a friend told me thats probably not the problem and to put some engine cleaner stuff into the gas tank.

anyone else have similar problems?

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Fuel injsction cleaner is worth a try. I would also check or change the plugs. I mean what will it cost for new plugs $20, worth the piece of mind if you ask me.

·
Registered
283 Posts
dude that dosn't sound right ,.... have u been doin ur tune up's on time ?

using proper octane ??

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i guess as far as the tune-ups I've been doing the oil filter and oil everytime but really havent gotten proper maintenance on it which is probably the problem. I'm gonna get proper service done shortly as far as valve re-adjustments etc, thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I had the same problem with my bike (or what I thought to be a problem) till I went to track day. It seemed like all the bikes there that were running aftermarket cans were "backfiring" under engine braking. This was explained to me as being normal..... and it really isnt backfiring..(this is done with a carburated motor not fule injection)... it was explained like this... the stock can has a certain amount of baffling so usually under serious engine braking it has enough back pressure to made the "normal" sounds.... but the after market cans have even less so there is less back pressure when you let off the throttle and it sucks it back in and causes the sounds like a backfire.... some aftermarket cans do this more than others... why your bike seems to bog down, I am not really sure except I would guess that your bike is fuel injected so I would try a power commander and run a map to match your mods. I run a yoshi RS3 race can and it really doesnt make that sound when i let off the throttle at high RPMs..... I don't think you have to due a valve adjustment till around 24k miles..... but you could change out the spark plugs as sometimes when you make mods and don't run a PC it will burn rich or lean and can foul up the plugs...... so I recommend checking the cheaper things first till you find what is causing the problem..

·
Registered
416 Posts
whoa .. i got an 04 and its almost completly stock with the exception of a fender elimintor and aftermarket turn signals .. but good to know

1 - 7 of 7 Posts