Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some examples of BAD advice that is commonly given out to riders? You know, things that get thrown around and suggested to people that are incorrect or untrue or misleading? Have you had any personal experience with receiving bad riding advice?

·
Reads the rulez
2,252 Posts
Don't use your brakes in the corner

·
Registered
27 Posts
Like turbo said, never use the front brake......First time ever sitting on a sport bike my unlce had a brand new 05 gsxr 1000 he asked me if I wanted to run it up the street and back so I took him up on it and before I took off he told me "dooooont touch the front brake" like it was the crash lever ? So im like uhhh OK ? He had me shook on front brake so I ran it up the street and as I pass him he gives me the right hand "give it some gas" gesture.......so, not knowing any better, I did.... and the end of the street came up real quick ? So im like oh shit what do i do dont touch the front brake! So I get on the rear pressing harder as the street was ending and I barely got it stopped....Luckily I didnt lock it up and crash his brand new bike mixed with bad advice? Fast forward to today been riding 12 years now and I cant for the life of me figure out why he told me not to touch the front brake then give me a go faster gesture ??? Its like he wanted me to crash his bike.....sorry for the long story, just thought id share ??

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
609 Posts
never use the front brake!

also most riders have no clue how to check air pressure in their tires...lol.

At the track days here , the shop I work at does rider support.

you would be surprised how many people roll up and complain about the bikes handling and guess what it is 90% of the time...tire pressure

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lol yup! That dont press the front brake bullshit got people messed up.
This is just insane to me that people suggest not using the front brake. I mean I've heard it over and over and over again and I just can't figure it out. It's like people think that getting on the front brake is just going to flip the bike or skid the front tired or make it crash or something.

We have a bike at the California Superbike School called the brake rig that really helps set people straight on how powerful the front brake is AND how much force it takes on the front brake lever to even get the front wheel to skid. We put 60psi in the front tire and coach riders to lock up the front tire (there are outrigger bars on the side of the bike so that it helps prevent a crash when the front does lock up). Most riders are so shocked at how quickly and hard they can get on the front brake before it locks up.

Why do you think there is such a myth surrounding use of the front brake?

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
basic fear response?
emotionally traumatized from crashing?
prefers to wallow in ignorance bubble vs facing the reality of truth?
MSF basic training?
Just plain ol inexperience?
:smile:

·
~Faster Than Lightning~
1,025 Posts
dude, people dont know the front brakes has more breaking power than the rear. i believe 70% brake power is at the front and 30% on the rear. I mean come on people just look at your damm wheels lol...bikes have double calipers at the front than the single caliper on the rear. When i first got my very first bike, the number one thing i wanted to master was the braking power of the bike, and of course follow by knowing your clutch, but it amazes me people still dont know how to control their braking.

·
Reads the rulez
2,252 Posts
This is just insane to me that people suggest not using the front brake. I mean I've heard it over and over and over again and I just can't figure it out. It's like people think that getting on the front brake is just going to flip the bike or skid the front tired or make it crash or something.

We have a bike at the California Superbike School called the brake rig that really helps set people straight on how powerful the front brake is AND how much force it takes on the front brake lever to even get the front wheel to skid. We put 60psi in the front tire and coach riders to lock up the front tire (there are outrigger bars on the side of the bike so that it helps prevent a crash when the front does lock up). Most riders are so shocked at how quickly and hard they can get on the front brake before it locks up.

Friend of mine crashed that "uncrashable" bike after we were told it was uncrashable. He put that to the test and flipped it in about 2 minutes. :lmao

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
dude, people dont know the front brakes has more breaking power than the rear. i believe 70% brake power is at the front and 30% on the rear. I mean come on people just look at your damm wheels lol...bikes have double calipers at the front than the single caliper on the rear. When i first got my very first bike, the number one thing i wanted to master was the braking power of the bike, and of course follow by knowing your clutch, but it amazes me people still dont know how to control their braking.
Front brake on most sport bikes can easily handle 100% of the braking. When I'm track riding and racing I almost never use the rear brake except in very specific situations. When we coach the brake rig at the California Superbike School we have students use the front brake only and they are amazed at just how quickly and effectively they can stop without using any rear. People tend to be really scared of the front brake but when used correctly it is very powerful.

Friend of mine crashed that "uncrashable" bike after we were told it was uncrashable. He put that to the test and flipped it in about 2 minutes. :lmao
We don't tell students that it is "uncrashable" we tell them that it has outriggers designed to help prevent it from crashing when the front wheel locks up. We also tell them that if the bike starts to stoppie (rear wheel coming up) to let go of the front brake. If they continue to hold the front brake then yes, it can flip.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
If you do it standing up.... wait... wrong one.

If you're speeding and see a cop, don't stop. Just keep going. They can't catch you. (apparently bikes move faster than radio signals)

·
Thread Killer...
49 Posts
Bicycles... You grab a fist full of front brake on a good bicycle and you are going over. The same can happen on a motorcycle, it's just a lot harder because even though you are still the biggest/heaviest single piece of the bike, you are not bigger than the whole (vs a 20 lbs. bicycle). If you are using 100% of the available front braking, your rear wheel is likely not on the ground, so there is not much point using the rear brake.

The Harley crowd doesn't help much either. A lot of those bikes have terrible front brakes, so it is not so much fear of using them, but more the fact that they don't do much...

·
Registered
22 Posts
****, hahahaha. Nowadays they tell students that you can endo it just not fall over to the side afterwards.

Front brake on most sport bikes can easily handle 100% of the braking. When I'm track riding and racing I almost never use the rear brake except in very specific situations. When we coach the brake rig at the California Superbike School we have students use the front brake only and they are amazed at just how quickly and effectively they can stop without using any rear. People tend to be really scared of the front brake but when used correctly it is very powerful.

We don't tell students that it is "uncrashable" we tell them that it has outriggers designed to help prevent it from crashing when the front wheel locks up. We also tell them that if the bike starts to stoppie (rear wheel coming up) to let go of the front brake. If they continue to hold the front brake then yes, it can flip.
Why hello there, I was one of your students! :grin:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Why hello there! hahaha small world :) What track did I coach you at?
Barber, 2016. Level 1 & 2. Was incredible, a few years of learning crammed into two days. I should add that I've had some sketchy moments since that probably would've been pretty bad had you not drilled in some of those lessons so thanks for that! I really should find time to do a 3/4. Also, sure would be nice if CSS would find some way to do Area 27 up in the Okanagan. :grin:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts