Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.

This seems like a bad joke. I bought a silverline micrometer online, and I don't know if it works badly, since the calibrated valve pads mark one measurement and the micrometer gives a different one.

What is happening here? That the micrometer or the calibrated tablets are wrong, with the thickness gauges the measurements are also wrong .

2.05 the piece, 2.07 the micrometer.

Thanks.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
669 Posts
Lightly close the mic on a piece of paper. Drag some distance. Then close and make sure zero is indicated. The thimble has a friction stop? If not the feel of how much drag on the object measured is very important. Comes with practice. Try a known gauge pin or block once mic is zeroed to get the feel.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the micrometer has a friction stop, when it reaches the piece to be measured it emits a creaking noise. My caliber with precision of 0.05, gives me the 2.05 of the piece.

Tomorrow I will go to an industrial supply hardware store, I will take the piece and they will show me a micrometer to do the test. If it is correct, I will buy it, if it does not mean that the wrong one is the piece. Thing i doubt.

If it is wrong, you will know that you should not buy a siverline micrometer.
Regards.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
669 Posts
Does it read zero when closed?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, stop in 1.

I have to ignore the crunch and force it to close at 0 completely.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
669 Posts
Then the barrel needs to be rotated or dirt on anvils. Wipe on paper like I said.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, clean with the paper as you said, it does not close completely.

It has all the appearance of being imprecise, to do the valve work I do not think there is a lack of scientific precision, but I like to have quality tools.

Regards.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
669 Posts
I understand. I'm a cnc machinist. Drawers of measuring tools. The barrel that has the numbers should have a hole and a hook wrench rotates the press fit to align the zero. Do not store or adjust the barrel closed. Keep a 1mm or larger reading for temp swings of the frame.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Don't close anymore.

It seems that the cause of all this is the micrometer, as I said tomorrow I will go for a quality one. All the work of measuring valve clearance to trash.

Thanks mordantly.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The mitutoyo that I tried yesterday at the industrial hardware store gave practically the same measurement as mine, a tad less.

What conclusion can we draw? Are the valve pads and feeler gauges not fully calibrated at all, or do I need higher quality tools to make more accurate measurements?

I'm going to order the valve pads.

Regards.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
669 Posts
There was glue or grit or a burr on the item being checked. Or it is not made parallel and accurate to the dimension you are expecting. A mitutoyo will read zero closed with clean anvils. So the teading on it is the size. I have probably $6000US worth of mitutoyo products and they are accurate.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It was in its packaging, clean and without any damage to sight, I understand that mitutoyo is a very good company. When the calibrated pills arrive at the second test, they are from the company mooesracing.

Hotcams was more expensive and I had to wait twice as long to send them to me.

I have the concern to be pressing some valves, they should not exceed 0.13mm, but I do not trust my gauges of Chinese thickness.

I asked in the industrial hardware store about some thick gauges of quality they offered me some bahco but the thicknesses were very far, do you know where I can find gauges of thicknesses of quality with those thicknesses? Since all the ones I see are Chinese. At least 0.13mm to make sure the valves are not under too much pressure.

Thanks.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
669 Posts
You can't get yamaha shims?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Yes, I can.

I will explain the measurements that I have taken of the valves. From servie manual Intake Valve 0.13-0.20mm Exhaust Valve 0.23-0.30mm

All my exhaust valves are at 0.26mm, I'm going to leave them like that, since they are not out of range.

Intake valves:

Cylinder 1: Valve 1 0.17mm Shim 206
Valve 2 0.20mm Shim 205

Ok, to these two valves I will put one shim of 210, but I have doubts if valve 1 was left with a lot of pressure since the clearance is not too much, in any case I will go to yamaha and ask for a 208 shim.

Cylinder 2: Valve 1 0.17mm Shim 205
Valve 2 0.17mm Shim 205

I think these are actually 0.18mm since the 0.16mm thick gauge fits without difficulty, but I think if I put a 210 shim I will leave them wrong, I will put them if I see that it is wrong to go to yamaha for some suitable.

Cylinder 3: The same as 2 cylinder

Cylinder 4: Valve 1 0.20mm Shim 202
Valve 2 0.20mm Shim 202

I will put some 205 shim and they will be fine.

In the online store I have bought 210, 205 and 195, the 195 are for the exhaust since I can adjust some.
The ones that are bad I will go to yamaha for some to "measure" since I am afraid that some of intake. would be very adjusted.

Regards.

P.D: Yamaha 12$ for one shim, online 9$ for 5 shim, but 0.05 frequency.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
669 Posts
Yeah yamaha will be expensive. Are any able to be moved around to get in spec with existing shims?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If, for example, the ones on cylinder one can be put on cylinder two, and some of the exhaust valves too, but the exhaust ones don't bother me, they are within range.

I am commenting on the progress in this thread, I already have the APE tensor.

Camshaft chain noise R6 05

It only remains to wait for the arrival of the shims

Regards.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
669 Posts
Sometimes shims removed are able to be placed elsewhere. Sometimes a shim in a spot can be switched with a different shim and still be in spec. I was only pointing it out incase it would apply to your engine. Valves slowly need thinner shims as the normal wear of the valve train creates less clearance (lash).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts