Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
addicted to track
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was putting on some new frame sliders today. I got the bike used a few months ago and the sliders that were on there looked pretty cheap. Anyways, problem is, when i took the old slider off, the bolt came out pretty easy, and I can't put an engine mount bolt back in the hole cause whoever (probably the dealer cause the last guy had everything done at the dealer) stripped the threads a little. Luckily the bolt they used was way too short, so it doesn't look like the damage goes too deep. Should i run a tap in there to clean it out or what would be best? Could a tap make it worse or is it worth a shot?

Not that it really matters, but the new slider mounts in a different hole so i just need to put an engine mount bolt back in the hole that the old slider was mounted to.

·
I m starting to eat my R6
790 Posts
yeah try to fix the threads with the tap... i believ that if you can put another bolt in there afterwards and it tightens up, u'r good to go... if it doesnt tighten, u r screwed

but under no circumstances ride w/o the bolt, u may get the engine loose

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yes I would run a nice sharp tap through there with some good lube! if all else fails go buy your self a helicoil kie

·
addicted to track
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cool, thanks. I'm hoping i wont have to go the helicoil route but we'll see. I ran a thread chaser in there and it worked good until the chaser bottomed out on the bracket thats in front of the hole cause the chaser wasn't very long. i'll try it with a tap now and see how it goes

1 - 5 of 5 Posts