Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any input as to the use of Ballistic or Antigravity lightweight batteries?

Im looking into buying one for my race bike and would like to go with the 4 cell for the extra weight savings but I'm worried about cold starts. I live in Ontario Canada and the mornings of race round 1 an 6 can get pretty cool. I can bump up to the 8 cell for only one extra pound but i guess I'm getting greedy lol

Anyone have experience or input into the situation?

·
Premium Member
35,477 Posts
I used a Ballistic 4 cell and it runs fine but their customer service isn't the best. I had a dead cell in mine and needed a new battery within 2 days for my track day and I basically had to pay for next day shipping.

·
Track=Cocaine
13,523 Posts
I went with a Moty 8 cell... For stronger starts and heard bad reviews on a lot of Ballistic batteries. Check out the Moty race batteries...

·
Just another r6'er
955 Posts
i have the motydesign one. haven't used it yet, will know in two weeks!

·
Always learning...
98 Posts
I have a ballistic 8 cell.I have read in the r1 forums that the charger they sell as their own, is in fact a IMAX-B6 with a ballistic sticker.The IMAX-B6 can be bought for ~25usd and the ballistic ~90usd.I didn't find this out in time and bought the overpriced ballistic charger.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
Ballistic batteries here.. got one in each of my 2 race bieks. work like champs. I went with the 8cell at Chip spalding's recomendation, owner of Ballistic. Awesome batteries. For anyone other than a top 5 finishing pro, no need to save the tiny bit of weight with the 4cell on a 600cc bike or larger. Get the extra power of the 8cell. Not much if any more money either, and the 8cell is still WAY WAY lighter than the stock battery.
r6 site supporter too so what is the decision issue here :)

Customer service?? ya know what they say about customer service.. "you can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time."
period.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There is no warranty offered with Ballistic batteries for race use.

I am not a pro racer but like to think I'm doing well as a novice. I have been working really hard this year to cut some weight and a pound here and there can add up.

My personal experiences customer service wise has been better with Antigravity.

Ballistic batteries here.. got one in each of my 2 race bieks. work like champs. I went with the 8cell at Chip spalding's recomendation, owner of Ballistic. Awesome batteries. For anyone other than a top 5 finishing pro, no need to save the tiny bit of weight with the 4cell on a 600cc bike or larger. Get the extra power of the 8cell. Not much if any more money either, and the 8cell is still WAY WAY lighter than the stock battery.
r6 site supporter too so what is the decision issue here :)

Customer service?? ya know what they say about customer service.. "you can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time."
period.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
it's a freakin battery.. why is everyone so hung up on "customer service".. good grief. You put it in, it works, done! If you don't read the instructions about charging and you overcharge these lightweight batteries you don't deserve a free replacement. I have to laugh about some of the comments i have seen about customer service. sorry.

The ballistic batteries are 2nd to none quality wise in the lightweight battery department, are VERY easy to install having regular terminal screws, priced right, look pretty cool AND they support this site.. and Chip is pretty cool dude.

Looking at your original post, you were misslead to use a 4cell in Ontario canada in my opinion. Im in FLORIDA and i still was guided by Chip at Ballistic to use an 8cell. 1lb difference? you were worried about that? Had you talked to Ballistic they would have suggested an 8 cell i bet, for a 600cc bike up there anyway.

·
billdozer
1,865 Posts
i bought a 4 cell, and I even checked the voltage and charged it to max with a proper charger and it still wasn't enough juice for my 2011. I guess an 8 cell is required for my bike :(

·
Parts Pimp
26,456 Posts
i bought a 4 cell, and I even checked the voltage and charged it to max with a proper charger and it still wasn't enough juice for my 2011. I guess an 8 cell is required for my bike :(

I told you! :laugh

The 08 + has higher compression pistons. I'm sure that plays a key role. I'm sure the ignition map is different too. It one takes a couple degrees of too much timing advance and the motor is much harder to turn.

If u still have the four cell next week when I get the flash tune, we can remove some ignition advance down low and see if it helps!

And I'm not sure if you've ever heard an 07 start up vs an 08+, but it's a totally different sound. I bet the gear ratio on the starters are different from 07-08+. It sounds like a cheap gear reduction started in the 07. Like every start sound like it could be the last. :laugh

1 - 20 of 22 Posts