Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys im after a bit of advise to what im guessing is gonna be a big problem. I have a 2000 r6 with about 19k on the clock. While riding home this evening there was a sudden knock/bang from the front of the bike, it felt like the front wheel had went over a large stone but the road was clear. While slowing down to investigate i noticed my left boot covered in oil ! by the time i had stopped the whole back end of the bike was covered, with oil dripping everywhere. At this point i turned it off (still seemed to be running ok). When i take the fairings off to have a look is there anything abvious or a particular area that i should be looking. Also does the gearbox & engine share the same oil ?, i havent checked the dipstick level yet but it looked like an engines worth on the floor. Any advice would be welcome.

·
Registered
96 Posts
i would say do a full check including forks. the oil is on the right side, make sure no holes or leaks.. not too sure, but if its the left side it might have been the oil filter.. u might have to change that along with an oil change. good luck

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
You're not going to like this, but its time for a new engine, because it sounds like you just spun a bearing or threw a rod. Most likely spot is going to be in the front half of the engine case, somewhere hidden behind the headers. Look for a 1 inch hole in the block.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It would be nice if it was just the filter but i cant imagine one going with a bang given that its just a filter & not a stressed component.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it was a rod or similar wouldnt the engine seize? i turned the engine off myself. Now ive given it some thought i reckon it may be the geabox. Whatever it is i think theres a hole somewhere. Thanks for the reply.

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
you'd definitely know if it broke a rod. there would be a lot of other banging noises after the initial pop...you said it was still running fine... that to me says oil filter or the oil cooler.
(hopefully) get you ass up and look at it already, You are killing me with suspense:D

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
check the oil pan....

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
it can still run if you blew up a piston or through a rod. It will run extremely rough, but it will run.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just discovered what the problem is, the front sprocket nuts came off causing the sprocket to come into contact with an alloy mounting tab on the cranckcase. Leaving a hole next to the transmission main shaft. Not good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts