Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
R6-ixy
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just recently bought CRG Bar End Mirrors and the adapters. It looks like they are not a simple task to do. My questions are to those out there who have bar end mirrors on their 09 R6.

Is there a simple way to install them?

Is there a right way in installing the bar end mirrors?

Is it better to have the dealership install them?

If anyone can inform me on what's the best way to install or put them on that would be awesome.

·
Flyin
63 Posts
Have you taken your existing bar ends off yet? If so... does it look like this on the inside?

If that's the case, then you have a bit of work to do. It's not fun... but it's do-able and if I could do it... then you can do it too. Just takes a bit of time and patience. It took me about an hour and a half. The second side was obviously quicker than the first side.

All you'll need:

• Drill
  • Drill bits
  • Vice Grips (Needle nose worked best for me)
  • Rounded file
  • Compressed air if available
  • Microfiber cloth

The first thing you need to do is get a drill bit that will fit between the inside of the bars and metal core. You are going to drill out as much of the rubber as possible:

This is what it should look like during or after drilling... I still had to drill a bit more on the bottom:

Next... grab onto the metal core with a set of vice grips. Then twist and pull simultaneously... more twisting than pulling actually. It will eventually rip out. If you are struggling too much... then try to drill out some more rubber. Here's what it will look like when you get it out:

Next, take an air nozzle from your compressor line or a bottle of compressed air to blow out the metal shavings. Use eye protection for obvious reasons. If you don't have access to compressed air, then you can blow the shavings out manually or use a microfiber cloth pushed in with a screw driver.

Here's what the inside will look like with the rubber and metal shavings out:

Next... just take a file and start filing down the rubber that is still stuck to the inside of your bars:

Blow out the shavings once again. Hit the inside with a microfiber cloth.

Once it's clean enough... then just install the CRG mirrors with adapters and boom goes the dynamite:

Hope this helped!

Bob

·
R6-ixy
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This totally helped, thanks soo much. I have been trying to Google this and have found nothing. You are a life saver.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Can someone measure the width of the mirror's clamp that attaches to the bar end? I currently have a bar end that I can mod and would like to do that instead of paying an extra $40 for the 2x adapters. Trying to plan out before I buy, so your help is greatly appreciated.

·
R6-ixy
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks YZFR6Flyer. Your pictures and instructions totally helped on. I finally got my bar end mirrors install and love them. No mor being my stock mirrors before I split lanes and wonder if I'll hit cars. Thanks a million.

dz90z32 - to answer your question is it's 7/8"

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
I understand the bar diameter must be 7/8. I need the width of the clamp. I guess a better way to word it may be how wide of a surface does the clamp need to sit on? Just the clamp itself, not the full adapter length.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Dose this improve view or just changed the looks and location? All I see with my factory mirrors r my shoulders.... 4:30-7:30 dose not exist with factory mirrors

·
Flyin
63 Posts
Dose this improve view or just changed the looks and location? All I see with my factory mirrors r my shoulders.... 4:30-7:30 dose not exist with factory mirrors
100% improves the view. I now see everything behind me and still have plenty of adjustability to play with.

The only negative for some will be the fact that you have to move your eyes down more to view the mirrors vs. stock. But... for me... the trade off is worth it since when I do glance down, at least I'm seeing traffic behind and to the side of me vs. just my shoulders & arms.

The other thing is that they are obviously smaller than stock... so the sight picture is a tad bit smaller, but they are convex mirrors so you are getting as much or more viewing information in that same space.

Hope that helps,

Bob

·
Flyin
63 Posts
Thanks YZFR6Flyer. Your pictures and instructions totally helped on. I finally got my bar end mirrors install and love them. No mor bending my stock mirrors before I split lanes and wonder if I'll hit cars. Thanks a million.

Awesome! They look great!

Now get those stock mirrors off, throw on a nice set of block-offs, and you are good to go! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts