Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does everyone think about the stock battery vs a lithium? It's time for me to get one. My bike has a hard time with cold starts so it takes two or three times to get it going. I do live in warm weather year round. The original battery lasted almost two years and my bike is a 2017.

·
Touchdown!
1,254 Posts
If you're not doing anything extravagant like racing or strickly track days on the regular, a stock replacment is perfect for the next 5 -7 years. It really boils down to need. Do you need a lithium battery? Is it worth the extra cost for your needs?

They both will do their job, and if maintained properly, they'll do it for a good while.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Li-Ion will be good. Their Achilles Heal is simply cold weather. You cannot use standard chargers with Li-Ion, so be prepared to factor in the cost... though it would do fine in long term storage if you simply disconnect the negative from the bike.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
lithium batteries also need to be balanced charged because they have multiple cells in them. if one gets way out of voltage from the others it will mess up the whole battery. the battery co never tells you this in their advertising. and no one knows about it until it catches on fire and ruins your bike. and they have. shorai sells a balance charger for their batteries. a few others do now as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts