Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 03 r6 and for some reason the battery Continues to die even after replacing stator and regulator rectifier Not sure what the problem is hooked up multimeter and got 11 V through 13 V even when riding bike dies if anybody has any experience and can give me a hand would greatly appreciate it

·
Registered
2003 yzf r6
96 Posts
I have a 03 r6 and for some reason the battery Continues to die even after replacing stator and regulator rectifier Not sure what the problem is hooked up multimeter and got 11 V through 13 V even when riding bike dies if anybody has any experience and can give me a hand would greatly appreciate it
You have a ground that's not grounded somewhere. Or in a rare case, I had this for example, previous owner hooked up phone charger on handle bars straight from battery and an alarm system also straight from battery these create a drain even when not in use if it's straight from the battery.

I got rid of those items absolutely golden, if you want to keep those items I recommend finding a way to jump into the harness as opposed to going straight to the battery. If you don't have those items you're gonna wanna look for a ground wire that is just roaming free and not connected to the frame or some other form of grounding mechanism.

·
Registered
2003 yzf r6
96 Posts
You have a ground that's not grounded somewhere. Or in a rare case, I had this for example, previous owner hooked up phone charger on handle bars straight from battery and an alarm system also straight from battery these create a drain even when not in use if it's straight from the battery.

I got rid of those items absolutely golden, if you want to keep those items I recommend finding a way to jump into the harness as opposed to going straight to the battery. If you don't have those items you're gonna wanna look for a ground wire that is just roaming free and not connected to the frame or some other form of grounding mechanism.
Sometimes it can be that a ground is loose in a relay somewhere. I also have heard the forced air induction celenoids ground pops out pretty easy as it moves around a lot where it is.
That is located right under the air box and it's a yellow and green wire. Generally it's the green wire that comes loose.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
In addition to the connection issues that 03deltabody brought up, it's been said repeatedly by multiple people that bad NEW stators aren't uncommon. Many recommend Rick's Motor Sport.

"Voltage drop test" is a way of identifying bad connections. Poke needle through insulation to get a reading.

These racing bikes have very little overhead for electrical add-ons.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info I tried what 03deltabody brought up however I was unable to locate a loose ground wire or anything out of place what I do find strange is that after Reassembling the r6 The voltage reading on the multimeter went from 12.8 V to a high of 13.80 followed by an immediate drop to 12.2 V So there still a fluctuation of voltage and a drain I have two brand new batteries that I have been switching between to try to solve the problem The stator i replaced it with was considered a cheap one from Amazon I ordered a new one And I am currently waiting for it to arrive to change it out

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 yzf r6
96 Posts
Thanks for the info I tried what 03deltabody brought up however I was unable to locate a loose ground wire or anything out of place what I do find strange is that after Reassembling the r6 The voltage reading on the multimeter went from 12.8 V to a high of 13.80 followed by an immediate drop to 12.2 V So there still a fluctuation of voltage and a drain I have two brand new batteries that I have been switching between to try to solve the problem The stator i replaced it with was considered a cheap one from Amazon I ordered a new one And I am currently waiting for it to arrive to change it out
This is a great battery that I use, my bike is 18 yrs. Old and I still have oem stator and rectifier

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Most volt meters have a 10A capacity for amp-draw mode. To measure parasitic drain, remove the key, disconnect the positive terminal and wire your volt meter between that terminal and positive battery post. The dash gauge cluster or "meter" as the manual calls it, should be the only item that draws any power with the key off. With a car, IIRC, anything above 0.06A draw is considered excessive. But a car battery has a LOT of capacity whereas motorcycle batteries, due to size and weight constraints, have very little.

For whatever reason it sounds as though your charging system is suddenly cutting-out. I had a car that did that after parking over a sewer compromised the grounding between the engine, body and battery. Though the engine and accessories ran okay, the alternator ran full-field and eventually burned-out. If that voltage is increasing without a related RPM change, that would signify a likely issue with weak ground connection(s).

·
Registered
2003 yzf r6
96 Posts
I would also add, and this isn't to say you're inexperienced or can't look for things, I just wanna say from personal experience when it comes to electrical it really helps to triple and quadruple check things and maybe even a second pair of eyes to look it over, and also as Intuit said a manual is your best friend especially when it comes to electrical.

I sold the last bike I owned because I swore I checked everything with electrical over but still had fuse and running problems. I chalked it up to something mechanical and as I didn't have much experience sold the bike. I kept in contact with the person I sold it too, and found out it was a incorrect ground or bad ground but for w.e. reason you could only tell when the bike was running under load (which is what happened to me, charged battery and would die or blow a fuse 10 min into a ride. So a second pair of eyes can be very helpful.
in addition to 2 pairs of eyes manuals with color diagrams of the wiring system is your best friend.

·
Registered
2003 yzf r6
96 Posts
this is one of your main grounds it's under the heat shield, I have an 03 as well even if it's connected it doesn't hurt to disconnect it and clean it off and make sure it's connected back to torque spec if there is one (haven't checked yet) but I am doing mine right now because of this thread lol, so thank you.

·
Registered
2003 yzf r6
96 Posts
View attachment 377478 this is one of your main grounds it's under the heat shield, I have an 03 as well even if it's connected it doesn't hurt to disconnect it and clean it off and make sure it's connected back to torque spec if there is one (haven't checked yet) but I am doing mine right now because of this thread lol, so thank you.
And I am getting ready to drop the engine out of mine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts