Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just bought a 2006 R6 thinking it was a good deal now im not so sure. Ive already discovered it need tires and a water pump. Now the battery goes dead after 20 minutes of use. Any ideas?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Battery shouldnt go dead by riding? try charging the battery with a slow charger.. just riding the bike only gives the battery a surface charge, you need a good slow long charge to really charge the plates...

how do you know it needs a water pump?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive had it on a slow charger and its a brand new battery and while running the check engine light will come on the electronics will shut off the bike dies. And the water pump is leaking from the back side which im told is the location of a weep hole which leaks when bad and the bike over heats.

·
Parts Pimp
26,473 Posts
Check the plug that goes from the stator cover to the harness. It's up by the left side top of the radiator. Many people forget to plug em back in after changing stator covers. It's sheathed in a rubber boot making it pretty well hidden.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Get a voltmeter and check the voltage of charged battery before starting, should be 12.xx. Good to also check the voltage drop while cranking as well. Then when it is running and you rev it up a bit it should go 14.x. If not, I've seen a few R6's at the track burn up the rectifier.

Waterpumps go bad. I've replaced one already on my son's 08 R6.

·
Parts Pimp
26,473 Posts
If it comes down to it is a rectifier an expensive/ difficult part to change?
No, it's easy to change. It's in the left fron fairing bolted to the radiator via a plastic arm like piece.

Where are you located bro? I've got a spare rectifier you could try if you're in the area. It's not for sale tho. Gotta have at least 2 of everything when you crash like we do. LMFAO

·
Dangerously Irish
9,551 Posts
Check the plug that goes from the stator cover to the harness. It's up by the left side top of the radiator. Many people forget to plug em back in after changing stator covers. It's sheathed in a rubber boot making it pretty well hidden.
I.E Me :laugh

·
Parts Pimp
26,473 Posts
So I've tested it and its not charging. Is there a way to test the rectifier?
Not really. Is there AC voltage going to the rectifier from the stator?

The manual doesn't have resistance specs on it like it does for the stator. When I tested the one in my 02, it was like hundreds of ohms or something weird. So test for inbound AC voltage. Then test the output in DC at the battery and compare cold and warm temps. Sometimes the rectifier gets hot and performs differently than when cold.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
The Fixer
54 Posts
The regulator/rectifier on your R6 is full of diodes, most meters require you to be on a diode setting or VDC becuase you are going to get a VDC reading. The manual wont tell you but the average spec of a diode is 0.3VDC-0.8VDC, and being that it is a 3-phase PMS system you will have 12 checks to perform on the regulator/rectifier. I will try and find a diagrahm on how to check it or maybe even make a video tomorrow.

·
Parts Pimp
26,473 Posts
The regulator/rectifier on your R6 is full of diodes, most meters require you to be on a diode setting or VDC becuase you are going to get a VDC reading. The manual wont tell you but the average spec of a diode is 0.3VDC-0.8VDC, and being that it is a 3-phase PMS system you will have 12 checks to perform on the regulator/rectifier. I will try and find a diagrahm on how to check it or maybe even make a video tomorrow.
:popcorn:

Please do!! Shit just got REAL technical in here!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I changed the rectifier and its still not charging. Does this mean i have to get a stator?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts