Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all this is driving me crazy and racking my brain tryting to figure out what is wrong. Any advice is much appreciated as I want my bike to be back in running condition. OK here is the lowdown.

I have a 2004 Yamaha R6 I purchased last year with low miles on it. I dont have any maintenence records from bike. Last season bike was running perfect. The issue first started a few weeks ago.

DAY 1 I went to start the bike in the morning and was harder starting than normal. Every time I started the bike that day it was progresively harder as the battery was draining more and more until I went to start it to go home from work and would not start at all. Just clicks...I then jumped the battery with jumper box from work (which i know now might have not been best idea) Got the bike home with no issues but did run with a check engine light the whole ride on and off.
DAY 2 I brought the battery to work and charged it full and put the battery back in the bike that evening. The bike started up no problem at all. I went out on a long ride (over an hour) and when I shut off the bike it was completely dead again.....I then knew it was either a bad battery or charging system malfunction or both...Brought the battery back to work and charged once again....
DAY 3 Put battery back in bike and tested the voltage and read about 13v i believe and started the bike and checked the voltage again and def spiked up to around 15v (somewhere areound there) I fugured the charging system was fine as it looked like juice was going into the battery...I purchased a new battery a few days ago and thought I was home free.
DAY 4 Yesterday I went out on another bike ride. Again it was progressively loosing more power from battery everytime I shut bike off ...Went on a 30 min ride and the battery was once again fried....I could not start it at all. was completely drained. I know think there is an issue with the charging system but it is driving me crazy that it was showing voltage going into the battery from my meter..
I read alot of posts about faulty regulators as they overheat. SO i decided to take the regulator/rectifier off the bike and noticed a few burnt wires going into them. I also noticed that the previous customer "rigged" the plug...he cut the plug off to make it a 3 prong and 2 other prongs from the regulator where spiced with a female attatchment. One of them goes directly to the battery and the otherone not sure. I think they where the wires on the right hand side top and bottom......I then cut off all the bad wires, and spliced in all new wire with female connectors with dielectrical grease ...I hooked it up with the aid of alot of other posts I read....

What is getting me is I went to work again today and brought the new battery and tried to charge it and said it was a faulty battery...I wonder if it fried somehow? I then was able to charge my old battery to a full charge...What is the next thing I should test....I am thinking its either bad wiring to the regulator(overheating for some reason) bad regulator, bad strator or combo of them...What should I do and how can I check the parts individually. I do not want to fry another battery if that is what I did and want to make sure I dont just throw parts at it...

Thanks again for any help you have

Jason

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
you shouldn't see a spike to 15vt. Holding 5000rpm, you should see 14vt. maybe 14.2vt but not 15vt or more.. that is a clear sign of a faulty regulator. And, if it couldn't be more clear, the pins to the r/r plug are fried. Yes, you hopefully can install new individual connectors in that plug as you can't buy just the plug. You would need another harness to get a plug (then you could cut the plugs off and solder the new on one).
once you get hte r/r situation sorted out.. with a known GOOD battery, start the bike. Put multimeter to the battery terminals again, you should see 14vt in a few moments holding 5000rpm. If not, the stator is likely going too..

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
you shouldn't see a spike to 15vt. Holding 5000rpm, you should see 14vt. maybe 14.2vt but not 15vt or more.. that is a clear sign of a faulty regulator. And, if it couldn't be more clear, the pins to the r/r plug are fried. Yes, you hopefully can install new individual connectors in that plug as you can't buy just the plug. You would need another harness to get a plug (then you could cut the plugs off and solder the new on one).
once you get hte r/r situation sorted out.. with a known GOOD battery, start the bike. Put multimeter to the battery terminals again, you should see 14vt in a few moments holding 5000rpm. If not, the stator is likely going too..

You can buy just the plug. I believe it was available from regulatorrectifier.com or something like that. I'll see if I can dig up a link from google.

:YEA

1 - 4 of 4 Posts