Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all I want to thank anyone for their help and advice on this issue. I did a few searches and have found some info that was helpful but wanted to get an exact answer on this issue....

I have a 2004 Yamaha r6 w about 6k miles that I picked up last year. I have not done any maintenence on bike since I have gotten it, as it ran very well.

Yesterday(first time of issue) morning I went to start bike in the morning and it was hard starting but did start. It cranked a few times more than normal. In the afternoon went out to lunch and had an even harder time starting. Before I went home from work I went to start bike for the 3rd time of the day(hardest time starting ) but again finally did crank over. I let the bike run for about 45 min-(before I shut it off noticed the check engine light was on) and shut it off hoping the charging system would put some juice back in the battery. I then went to start the bike and hear a buzz/clicking noise sounding like it was coming from the battery or right next to it and there was not a chance in hell it would start. Did not even start to crank at all.I then jumped the battery to get my bike started and started up no problem at all but the check engine light was still on....(it went on and off a few times on way home)

I am assuming its either the battery or the charging system but dont want to throw a new batt into it if the charging system is bad and will kill the next battery. What do you recomend I check and how to solve this problem with the least amount of headaches and money. I do have a voltmeter and checked the volts last night when i got home and was around 11.4 v I believe which is def low......

Thanks again for any advice. I have seen posts about the regulars going often on these bikes because of overheating etc. I did take a quick look at the wires and didnt notice anything fried...

The bike as of now will not start at all and just hear that buzz noize from the battery.

Thanks
---JASON

·
MACGYVER 05 R6 NJ
4,033 Posts
You need 12.8 v to just start the bike. The bike will not start charging until its above 5000 rpms. It should read 14 v at 5000 rps

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so do you think the bike sitting there running for 45 min made the battery completely de drained...I had a 20 min ride home and again was deader than a door nail when i got home and only way to start is to jump it...Either not holding a charge at all and battery is shot or its not charging at all....

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
no. at idle, the stator runs the bike. but you won't get a charge. your battery is dead/dying/old/gone. get a new one, and you'll be fine. sometimes they just "go bad."

·
I said biiiiiiiitch.....
528 Posts
Check the volts while the bike is running. If you're charging system isn't working the new battery will eventually die as well. I think it's supposed to be something like 13-14.5 volts at 3-5k rpm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts