Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Want to do track days
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets Keep this thread for all post regarding trips to Bear Mountain this season.

I am planning a run to bear mountain this season as soon as the weather gets warmer. I have no specific date yet. Also I am not a professional rider and I am just organizing this from past trips I have made to bear mountain. I know their are riders on this forum that have more experience then I have and I wont mind them leading the ride.

Their are many tricky turns at bear mountain, and many have gone down.

Here is a link to a map of a route i have come up with.
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/41....dbbc7a17b95b:0x5da4f4d36c27e20d!1m0!3e0?hl=en

I will be leaving from Queens New York. If any one wants to meet up we can in queens or at the first gas station on the Palisades Parkway.

I will also post this up on meetup when I decide a date.

·
I eat cheese
79 Posts
I'd be interested. I am a student at stony brook and usually have my bike with me during the warmer parts of the year.

I've been meaning to get out to bear mountain for awhile now but haven't due to needing to get off the island to go (stupid because I'm dieing to ride different roads).

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
hadn't been up there in a few years...however I would not risk speeding on 7 lakes, well at least not without a rider that can flash some tin. :D

·
Want to do track days
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hadn't been up there in a few years...however I would not risk speeding on 7 lakes, well at least not without a rider that can flash some tin. :D
I feel like at he beginning of the season theirs not that many cops. It gets worse later on when 2 many accidents happen. Also, whenever I went with my groups we never get stopped for speeding. Their was once a checkpoint but the cops only checked if the bike had inspection and had a license plate.

·
Want to do track days
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd be interested. I am a student at stony brook and usually have my bike with me during the warmer parts of the year.

I've been meaning to get out to bear mountain for awhile now but haven't due to needing to get off the island to go (stupid because I'm dieing to ride different roads).
Yep, theirs no good roads on Long Island. Plus theirs to many cops. Bear mountain is the best closest spot for us.

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
I've been meaning to do some for awhile. Which track is Absolute based at?
We mostly ride at NJMP, but also have some days up at pocono as well. Pocono is close man. Totally worth it. But NJMP is where my heart is for sure. Thunderbolt is a race track. Pocono is just not as exciting or challenging but it's still the best time you can have man.

Did a track day last season with absolute and I loved it.

Here is a link: http://youtu.be/5VGob1RGDm4

But it gets expensive as you have to buy a full leather suite and after the first one its $200 correct?
Yea, something like that. It depends on what membership you have man. It's well worth it though. You can learn more in one track weekend than a whole season of riding.

I just watched the video. You're looking great out there for your first time!! See, you're a prime candidate for track riding man. You have some good skills and courage already and with some seat time and practice + coaching you can start fcuking RIPPIN out there. And you know enough now to get really hurt on the street, or to at least get in a LOT of trouble! :laugh

Work on getting up on your toes bro. You wanna be on the balls of your feet. See you your toes are hanging down in the turns? You'll be dragging them on your next day if you don't work on that. And if you get your ass back further on the seat, it will get your chest lower. You already hang off and transfer your weight really good man.

And if you work on your lines a bit bro, you'll be railing on that throttle all day long! If you hold the left in the chicane longer, it will keep you mid track for the right hand turn exiting the chicane and that will set you up with a way stronger drive up wheelie hill.

·
Want to do track days
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We mostly ride at NJMP, but also have some days up at pocono as well. Pocono is close man. Totally worth it. But NJMP is where my heart is for sure. Thunderbolt is a race track. Pocono is just not as exciting or challenging but it's still the best time you can have man.

Yea, something like that. It depends on what membership you have man. It's well worth it though. You can learn more in one track weekend than a whole season of riding.

I just watched the video. You're looking great out there for your first time!! See, you're a prime candidate for track riding man. You have some good skills and courage already and with some seat time and practice + coaching you can start fcuking RIPPIN out there. And you know enough now to get really hurt on the street, or to at least get in a LOT of trouble! :laugh

Work on getting up on your toes bro. You wanna be on the balls of your feet. See you your toes are hanging down in the turns? You'll be dragging them on your next day if you don't work on that. And if you get your ass back further on the seat, it will get your chest lower. You already hang off and transfer your weight really good man.

And if you work on your lines a bit bro, you'll be railing on that throttle all day long! If you hold the left in the chicane longer, it will keep you mid track for the right hand turn exiting the chicane and that will set you up with a way stronger drive up wheelie hill.
Thanks for the feedback. After half a day they let me take the vest off and go on my own. It's a lot harder when your not following the instructors. Memorizing braking points, entry points, apex point and exit points is crucial. Also on the track no 2 turns are the same.

I had the instructor follow me later when I got better and he said the same about the toes. It's a bad habit from ridding on the street like that. Have to change it permanently that way I get it into a habit the correct way.

What I also really liked was the fact everyone was their to help each other out which was great. Great good of people around our camp area and at the end of the day came by for some polish beer. Lol

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. After half a day they let me take the vest off and go on my own. It's a lot harder when your not following the instructors. Memorizing braking points, entry points, apex point and exit points is crucial. Also on the track no 2 turns are the same.

I had the instructor follow me later when I got better and he said the same about the toes. It's a bad habit from ridding on the street like that. Have to change it permanently that way I get it into a habit the correct way.

What I also really liked was the fact everyone was their to help each other out which was great. Great good of people around our camp area and at the end of the day came by for some polish beer. Lol

Nice!! Yea man, keep on the balls of your feet at all times! You were doing great out there though. I wish I knew you were there that day. I think I was coaching A group, but I can always get out in any group if I want to. Try to make it happen for a couple more days this season and lemme know. I'll be around.

My buddy Pete brought a bunch of polish beer to the shop. I think it was Zywiec.

·
I eat cheese
79 Posts
Yeah I haven't been on a track yet but the foot positioning is definitely something I have to look out for... I scraped my toes on the best road long island has to offer.

I've reached the point where I don't feel comfortable pushing any more on the street. Lack of better experience and the unpredictability of the street both hold back learning.

I got a one piece at the beginning of last season intending to do two track days but time and travels prevented that. What should I expect for my first track day? What kinds of prep do I need to do on the bike? A day with Absolute may be a very real possibility some time this semester.

·
Want to do track days
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I haven't been on a track yet but the foot positioning is definitely something I have to look out for... I scraped my toes on the best road long island has to offer.

I've reached the point where I don't feel comfortable pushing any more on the street. Lack of better experience and the unpredictability of the street both hold back learning.

I got a one piece at the beginning of last season intending to do two track days but time and travels prevented that. What should I expect for my first track day? What kinds of prep do I need to do on the bike? A day with Absolute may be a very real possibility some time this semester.
I will chip in my 2 cents:

1. Bring food and water for the entire day. We got our selfs a small bbq grill
2. Bring chairs and one of those 10 by 10 tents
3. Bring a 5-gallon container of gas
4. If u have a gopro bring it
3. Theirs a bunch of videos on YouTube on how to prep your bike for the track. Like taking the mirrors off. Do it the day before the track as once you get their earlie in the morning you have to bring your bike for inspection
4. Don't ride your bike to the track as you will be 2 tired to ride on the track lol
5. Bring a tire gauge
6. Have fun

I am sure I missed a bunch of things. This is only what comes to mind.

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts

Remove the mirrors, tape the lights up and that's really it man. Just make sure no leaks, brakes and tires are good and you'll be fine. Gauntlet gloves and good boots plus the one piece are all you need.

You'll have a blast man. If you can get a two day weekend in at the track, you'll never want to go back to the street. The first day you spend a lot of time with the intro guys in the classroom and by the afternoon you're on your own out there. Day two you'd be free and clear all day and you'll know the track. That's when it starts to get super fun man.

I will chip in my 2 cents:

1. Bring food and water for the entire day. We got our selfs a small bbq grill
2. Bring chairs and one of those 10 by 10 tents
3. Bring a 5-gallon container of gas
4. If u have a gopro bring it
3. Theirs a bunch of videos on YouTube on how to prep your bike for the track. Like taking the mirrors off. Do it the day before the track as once you get their earlie in the morning you have to bring your bike for inspection
4. Don't ride your bike to the track as you will be 2 tired to ride on the track lol
5. Bring a tire gauge
6. Have fun

I am sure I missed a bunch of things. This is only what comes to mind.
Solid advise. Find some good people to pit up with too. That's a huge help to learn where to be and when to be there. and it's good to get some solid help and encouragement from the veteran riders.

I will be riding here sometime this year.
http://www.njminigp.com/

Met them at THC in Dublin. Looks like a bunch a fun for less than the cost of a leather suit! Think they are having a 12hr endurance too.
MiniGP is pretty badass! These guys have some pretty sick built bikes for it too.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
They offer track days with your own bike?
hadnt ridden with them but its not for full sized bikes. Its for ttrs, xr/crfs, groms, ysrs, etc. Thing is the muscle memory is the same as the big bikes, so you can work on the body position basics while riding a smaller bike at & beyond its limits. A race prepped ttr or crf is about $1500. Tires last forever as they are basic bt45s. Trust me... no matter how good you think yyou are on a "big" bike... the little ones will show your weaknesses. (without the crash risk)

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
Any recommendations for a track noob on who to pit up with?

If you're going to come and ride absolute just lemme know and pit up with us bro. We have a pretty big group. There will be tons of help and I sponsor Absolute and am affiliated with them, plus I coach so I can make sure you get where you need to be and we can do some ripping in the afternoon!! BRAAAAAAAPPPPP!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts