Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
HONKEY KONG
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking into picking up a beater bike for track days (250/500R, GS500, SV, etc) and wanted to get the opinions of you guys that do track days. Im looking to do this to improve my riding skills and really dont want to go the route of setting up my R6 to do it. Id snatch a beater, prep it and drag it to the track and leave the R6 for pleasure. That may change later but thats the plan for now. Thoughts?

·
Registered
41 Posts
When you say beater, what price range are you talking? I know here in Phila a guy had an 02 SV for sale that coulda made a decent track bike going for $1200. You can get a well set up 03-04 R6 for $2500-$3k...that's what I did.

·
HONKEY KONG
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Like $1500-$2k. Found a local 01 Kawi 250 in mint condition for $1200. Its cheap enough that I can insure it if I want to so I can ride here or still take it to the track to beat it up. Plus theres plenty of replacement parts available for that model

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
If you've got the cash & space for it, seems like a great idea to me.

What's your reason for not wanting to take the R6 to the track? You mentioned not wanting to set it up for the track, but it takes about half an hour to get prepped to pass tech for most organizations. There's almost no setup involved.

If you'd rather not risk binning your shiny new bike at a track day, that's totally understandable - but if it's just the time investment for swapping between street/track, you shouldn't sweat it. I daily drive my R6 and have been doing a track day a month since February and it's really a piece of cake to prep the bike.

·
www.1seven1.com
2,064 Posts

·
HONKEY KONG
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you'd rather not risk binning your shiny new bike at a track day, that's totally understandable -
That right there. I dont want to take the chance of wadding up my R6 if I can find something cheap and reasonable enough that will provide a platform to do track days and not have to sweat damaging it.

·
Motorcycles rock!!
133 Posts
I too have a notion to get a beater track bike vs. continuing to use my R6. I would lean towards an SV650 vs. a Ninja 250 as the Ninja may bore you to death after a few sessions if there is any kind of straight on the track - at least it would for me.

Even if you find a "deal" on a modern 600, you still have to think total cost of ownership: fuel, tires, brakes, etc. The SV and Ninja 250 just consume less of the consumables than a 600 and tires for an SV or 250 are less than for a 600.

There should be plenty of race parts for either model and I would probably just modify the suspension and stay away from engine mods.

·
The Decal Guy
1,650 Posts
find a salvage/no-title third generation. i'm into mine for ~$2350. :fact '07. :D
I have been looking for months for a bike with salvage/no-title around the $2000 range. I've been having trouble even finding a first gen. for that much. How'd you score an '07? :eek5

·
Premium Member
30,470 Posts
I have been looking for months for a bike with salvage/no-title around the $2000 range. I've been having trouble even finding a first gen. for that much. How'd you score an '07? :eek5
posted a WTB thread on a local board, and some dude that was on the verge of getting outta trackdays pm'ed me. told me that when the time came, he wanted $3k - period - and i said "if it runs/shifts the way it should, i'd take it." 3 weeks later, he pm's me, and says he's ready. i picked it up that day. sold the damper, bodywork, and tank setup for a total of $650. leaving me into the bike for $2350. had the bodywork and a track tank setup from when my street bike pulled double duty. :D

now if i could just find a motard to replace the street bike. :|

·
Registered
61 Posts
Having been in this business for more years than I care to remember... here's my thought on "beater bikes" for the track.

All too often I see people buying "beaters" for the track that would barely pass tech.

I would argue that your best bike (mechanically) should be the one you take to the track.

You will never push your bike and yourself harder than when you are at the track.

Would you rather have a bike quit on you when you are sitting in traffic - or when you are doing 90mph with your knee skimming on the ground?

Here's another thought...

If you start with a bike that is pretty clapped out... how long do you think it will last when you are pushing it to the limit every time you ride it?

So I guess I understand not having the most beautiful bodywork.... but every other part of your track bike should be in excellent condition. This is both for your safety, and the safety of the other 90 people you are sharing the track with.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts