Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
HONKEY KONG
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think of this SV for a beginner track bike? I was originally wanting to go with a Kawasaki Ninja 500 just so that Id have a cheaper, slower, and more forgiving bike than my R6 to track and learn on. Then I found a lack of aftermarket support for that model. So I was looking at SV's and ran across this one:

http://weraclassifieds.com/ads/02-sv650-racetrack-bike/

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
I don't think the R6 is too terrible to learn on at the track. They handle great and you've got to be working it pretty hard before you have to start worrying about traction. If you've got the spare cash and want a second bike so you're not at risk of wadding up your street bike it seems pretty reasonable to go shopping.

SVs make great track bikes from what I hear, and that one has all the standard upgrades you'd look for - most notably, the suspension. You should find out what spring rates you need, cause if what's on there is way off it may be a less attractive deal if you're going to have to pay to respring it.

·
It's pronounced "Tollz"
7,764 Posts
OP, how long have you been on your R6? IMO, I wouldn't buy a "more forgiving" bike to start out on. Take it easy in novice for a while to get used to it. At the 600 level, it'll be hard to find a better track bike than the R6.

However, the SV is a great track bike. There's some guys that can hang pretty well in the expert/racer class at my track days on their SV's. Most of them 650's too.

·
HONKEY KONG
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OP, how long have you been on your R6? IMO, I wouldn't buy a "more forgiving" bike to start out on. Take it easy in novice for a while to get used to it. At the 600 level, it'll be hard to find a better track bike than the R6.

However, the SV is a great track bike. There's some guys that can hang pretty well in the expert/racer class at my track days on their SV's. Most of them 650's too.
I bought it June 1st, but I rode ZX6R's from 04-06 and took a little time off from riding. I was looking at this as: 1) more forgiving to start on at the track; hopefully learn more. 2) If I wad up my R6 for any reason, the damage and cost to fix can easily run close to the price of the SV.

·
HONKEY KONG
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You should find out what spring rates you need, cause if what's on there is way off it may be a less attractive deal if you're going to have to pay to respring it.
Didnt even think of that. How would I find out? Is there a chart to shows you what you need by body weight?

·
Searching and lurking...
24 Posts
Didnt even think of that. How would I find out? Is there a chart to shows you what you need by body weight?
start here...

www.racetech.com

There's a chart in there that tells you what spring rate for the front and rear (and is pretty universal). Do a little poking around, you'll find it.

+1 for the SV. If you're looking for a dedicated and inexpensive track bike, the SV is the way to go. Yes, the R6 is a great bike on the track, but it's got some quirks that can get you into trouble if you're just learning and starting out. I've had a Duc748, CBR1000RR, GSXR750 and 600, and this is my first season on the R6. I'm not an expert racer, but I've got alot of track time and this bike is like nothing I've ever ridden. It's kinda like that redhead I dated in college...treat her gently and sweetly, and she'll give you the ride of your life. Try and push her around or give her the wrong input and out on your ass you will be!

The SV is will be easier to get comfortable on, and spares are everywhere for that bike. I'd bet you could get one pretty well setup for $3K $3.5K.

·
fok mi! fok u!
260 Posts
+1 for the SV. Riding a bike like the SV or kawi will teach you about corner speed. You will come out that much better of a rider on the track if you can tackle it well on the SV.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I track a Gen 1 SV650 years ago.

First mod should be heavier springs and fork oil as the front forks is way too soft. Get a 2 clicker penske for the rear shock. Penske works best for Gen1 SV.

Get rid of the stock end can and get a used titanium slip on and dyno jet kit. Will save you almost 12-14lbs in weight.

For the brakes, install SS brake lines and galfer 1375 pads and you are good to go.

Oh yeah, get a front fender extender as splashing water will foul the front spark plugs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts