Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep hearing about people upgrading to a 70 series tire up front. What benifits would I see with this on a 04 R6? What else has to be done to the bike to accomadate this new tire size?

·
Registered
995 Posts
Basically it helps you to turn into corners quicker. However because of the increase in Profile height of the tyre, 12mm height increase with Pirrelli 120/70, it is advised that you alter the fork length, and only Pirrelli and Michellin are to be used in 70 Profile, because they use a reinforced tyre mesh and don't increase in size at high speeds, thus rubbing the front hugger.
I've been using 70 Profile pirrelli tyres on my last two Rsixes with no rubbing, and dropping the forks threw by 10mm

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Don't drop the forks, instead raise the rear.

It is easier to do
It does not change the active length of the forks
It does not decrease ground clearance

It IS reccommended by Graves Motorsports and they DO win lots of races

·
Registered
995 Posts
Raise the rear, by how much?
And if i'm using a 70 profile tyre, which increases the height by 12mm, then drop the yoke by 10mm, how have i decreased the ground clearance? And there's noway the forks will bottom out by dropping the yoke 10mm. And most importantly its a good idea to raise the back if your racing on a track regularly but for short bastards like me its no good for using on the road

·
Registered
304 Posts
i run a 70 also, just got the tire. raises the rear like jasamb and also redline have said and it works. i like the way it handles but i dont like the look of the 70 series on front i like thinness of the 60 series but we do what we do cuz it benefits ourselfs..........to each there own :jump

ps im not that tall either, im only 5' 10"

·
Registered
995 Posts
fcuk u'v got 6 inches on me, u jammie bastard :cheers

·
Registered
80 Posts
Guys I actually just did this yesterday. I changed from some Michelin 120/60 to Metzler M1 120/70 and there is a pretty big difference. Although the tire is still pretty slick right now, the bumpiness on the freeway is MUCH better and it feels alot stable and grounded. I didn't touch anything on the forks. Fits fine on my 00' R6....was up to 80mph and had no issues with rubbing. I suggest that if you do put 70 series on, just ride on it and see if it rubs. Mine doesn't touch at all.

·
Registered
304 Posts
oh yeah, i forgot to address the tire rubbing part in my last response. i have had her up to 130ish with no problem. but what i am seeing is that if rocks\other debris get stuck in the groves of my front tire then it is hitting the fender and flying off and i have dents in the radiator from that debris. i have been just using a flat head screw driver to striaghten the little deals out but i am looking into raising the fender some to correct that problem. any suggestions on the fender raising.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
BRAVO said:
Raise the rear, by how much?
And if i'm using a 70 profile tyre, which increases the height by 12mm, then drop the yoke by 10mm, how have i decreased the ground clearance? And there's noway the forks will bottom out by dropping the yoke 10mm. And most importantly its a good idea to raise the back if your racing on a track regularly but for short bastards like me its no good for using on the road
I think...THINK...that a 70 profile over a 60 profile is about 10-12mm TOTAL increase in size. This means that the height of the bike will increase roughly 5-6mm (only half of the increase in size lies below the axle). To raise the rear, you just need to shim up the frame where the rear shock bolts to it (unscrew the nut, raise up the bike under the freme not the swingarm, put on a shim, lower the bike back onto the shock, re-tighten, viola!)

This way you keep all the front end geometry the same but bring the rake angle backk to where it should be (trail will be increased slightly).

BRAV....I forgot youze just a little guy though...maybe for you....lower the front. :cheers

lol.....

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Another member on this forum had quite a bit of success with this method.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have used 5 mm in the rear with pirelli and 7 with bridgestone. Both see to work well. & is a bit drastic so make sure you use a damper. From what I have been told 1 mm in the rear is around 3 in the frt so for the street somewhere aound 3.5mm in the rear would be about perfect.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Right on BigD, 3.5mm is perfect for street.

I'm running 3.5mm shim now and it feels exactly the same as stock set-up with the 60 up front. Not running a damper and haven't had too many problems, nothing i didnt have before. And now the 70 stays planted much better.

I'm gonna go another 1mm or so when i get a damper.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts