Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Nothing Special
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started to disassemble the 2003 I recently picked up. At the very least it needs a head gasket, so I began the process.

After the skins, tank, airbox, and radiator came off it was time for the headers. Like many used bikes the exhaust flange nuts had been WAY WAY WAY overtorqued by one of the bike's PO's .... Mr. Squid Billy. Of course the flanges are bent and the exhaust studs are also bent. The nuts came right off with little protest, I had put a bit of penetrating oil on the studs and allowed it to work on the studs prior to going at the nuts. The nuts came off easily, but now the bent studs are preventing the exhaust flanges (which also bent into curves) from coming off the studs, which in turn prevents the removal of the headers.

UGH!!!!!!! :thumbdown

Is this a sortof common R6 thing? If so, how are most folks dealing with it? Are the studs readily available if I end up needing to destroy them to get the headers removed?

Some People's Children!! Geez!

(thank you!)

·
Nothing Special
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks folks.

No worries, I won't destroy them. I like to think I treat my bikes with more respect than that.

Someone went nutso on this one, they're bent pretty good. I'd thought about using very local focused heat (oxy/acet torch) on each one then slipping something like a very small diameter deep socket over the studs to straighten them enough to get the pipes removed. Then once I get the headers removed I can finish pulling the head at which time I'll install all new studs, my wife found some at several part retailers anywhere from $1.25 each to $2.00 each. Probably a great idea to buy new nuts at that time as well.

GASKETS: Go Athena here or is there a preferred exhaust gasket to use?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.