Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Life on an apex
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Had a crash yesterday and bent my only key, i have bent it back almost where it is straight however this is the only key i have for the bike, the red one was lost before i bought it.

If i get another key cut can i pop the chip out of the bent key and put it in the new one.

Also if i wanted to make copies i know this can only be done from the Red key.
There must be a way so that i can have more than one key. I thought about changing the ignition barrel but does his not need o be in sync with the ecu and maybe the clock panel?

Thanks

·
Registered
379 Posts
the Canadian/European versoins have chips in the key to prevent just anyone making a copy of the key and stealing your bike.

they are like all the new cars that have chips in the key, ignition won't turn over if the code in the key doesn't match the one in the ignition.

i bent mine in my crash too, i just bent it back in a vice, and havent had a problem with it since.

·
Life on an apex
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the Canadian/European versoins have chips in the key to prevent just anyone making a copy of the key and stealing your bike.

they are like all the new cars that have chips in the key, ignition won't turn over if the code in the key doesn't match the one in the ignition.

i bent mine in my crash too, i just bent it back in a vice, and havent had a problem with it since.
Key is working fine, Ive had the bike running with it however it does concern me if i lose this key what i would do :\

Maybe speak to my local Yamaha dealer?

Thanks

·
Registered
379 Posts
Key is working fine, Ive had the bike running with it however it does concern me if i lose this key what i would do :\

Maybe speak to my local Yamaha dealer?

Thanks
i think your ECU is syned to your key, i remember i tried to pop my buddies ECU in my bike, and it wouldn't crank because the ECU didn't Recognize my key. but when i put mine in, even with the flash, it works like a charm. so i believe that the red key has some sort of electronic thing that talks to the ECU and it lets the bike start. I'd say you have to take your ECU into a yamaha shop with a new red key, and they could sync it up?

i've never had to do it tho, so i'm not sure, i'd say call a shop, they should know.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,797 Posts
Or you could just cut a regular key and stick the broken key somewhere in the fairing or cowl close enough to register so it will start. :laugh Hashtag ghettosolutionsmotherfcuker

·
Lol
125 Posts
I made copies from keys that were originally made from my other copies...

I don't have the european model r6 though lol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well you have a few choice

- dealer and get a new key
- buy a used ecu/lock set....worst scenario
- flash the ECU and remove the immobilizer function( look-up flash-tune )
- clone the transponder in your key http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132964

Only the red key can program additional key using some sequence

I flashed a spare ecu...put it in the bike...and started up fine
but the main reason for me was to tune the track bike...
getting the immobilizer out of the way was just a bonus

·
Dangerously Irish
9,506 Posts

^this

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.