Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
some bits are a little corny, but get through that and Keith Codes' twist of the wrist II will give you TONS of good info. Not bs., not speculation. Throttle control is the key to riding. This vid (and buy the book for quick references) will teach you more than you can imagine.

Here comes the release of the long-awaited training DVD from Keith Code, A Twist of the Wrist 2. Filmed in Hi-Def and utilizing visual effects and sophisticated film making techniques, the 109-minute film brings Code's best selling book vividly to life in a clear and dynamic way, covering multiple aspects of the technical points he discovered. The film follows the journey of two new riders, from canyon roads to track, as they encounter their own limitations and uncertainties in their riding and then learn to overcome them with the correct techniques that apply in each scenario. They gain confidence and control, start to have fun and improve. Once a rider gets the idea there is a technology then and only then can he conquer his fears and uncertainties on cornering and at that point improvement is virtually unlimited. The film delivers precision techniques for barriers to cornering such as rider input, fundamentals on steering, visual skills, braking, body position, throttle control and more. All the techniques are thoroughly explored using multiple camera angles, onboard shots and CG animation in over 1400 shots. It was painstaking, precision work that paid off, this film shows riding technique in ways that have never been done before.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
pretty sure it's been posted before, but not really a bad "repost" .. :)

2 of the young riders that were in the "cast" throughout the vid, are Peter Lenz and Joe Roberts. Joe is now 16 and currently undefeated in AMA supersport competition in his 600cc debut. Sadly Peter was killed a few years ago at a usgpru race held at Indy

·
When in doubtThrottle out
5,058 Posts
Always a good repost because it keeps getting removed from Youtube....I have a copy if anyone wants to have it DB'd to them.

·
Reads the rulez
2,236 Posts
pretty sure it's been posted before, but not really a bad "repost" .. :)

2 of the young riders that were in the "cast" throughout the vid, are Peter Lenz and Joe Roberts. Joe is now 16 and currently undefeated in AMA supersport competition in his 600cc debut. Sadly Peter was killed a few years ago at a usgpru race held at Indy
I was at Barber with WERA earlier this year (My second race weekend ever) and that damn ninja kid was there. Dude had never been there before and was turning 29s. Effing ridiculous. I was only 10 seconds behind him... LOL

I'm not sure how much of that is proper riding schooling, and how much of it is just starting on the track at an extremely young age. There is a very small percentage of fast guys that started racing after 20 years old. MOST of the prodigies started off really young...

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
I was at Barber with WERA earlier this year (My second race weekend ever) and that damn ninja kid was there. Dude had never been there before and was turning 29s. Effing ridiculous. I was only 10 seconds behind him... LOL

I'm not sure how much of that is proper riding schooling, and how much of it is just starting on the track at an extremely young age. There is a very small percentage of fast guys that started racing after 20 years old. MOST of the prodigies started off really young...
:laugh My friend is buddies with Joe's dad, rides dirtbikes with him and they pitted with us out at Chuckwalla Valley Raceway on a Friday trackday before the race weekend. If it makes you feel any better, Joe was chasing down Jake Zemke out there, and his dad was giving him shit cause Joe was on a 1000 and Zemke was on an 848. :laugh

He ended up winning every race he was in that weekend.

·
Registered
384 Posts
OMG TOTW?? I've never seen that before!

lol, I'm being a jackass. It's an excellent vid, not a bad repost at all as I'm sure there's plenty who haven't seen it

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

yup, a good friend of mine from here in FL, Eric Grey, is Joe's crew chief this year. He (and many others including M4/RRW owner John Ulrich) are certain he is destined for great things.

If you are an advanced rider, much what is in the vid may be redundant.. but MOST reading this forum are newer riders, excited to be riding on the street. Without the fundamentals of throttle control, learning to scan for turn in points and apexes, importance of being smooth on the bike and with inputs, etc. riding can be downright unsafe. Even having raced for 10+ years, there are tidbits of stuff i pick up from watching it/reading the book every now and then. It's not one of those "read it once and toss it" kind of books.

·
Registered
456 Posts
great movie. the book in pdf is can be found online as well. i have it saved to my desk top on my work computer. but if you have the means i would also purchase a hard copy. this information is too valuble to be free.

·
Dangerously Irish
9,552 Posts
I have no clue how many times I have seen this over the past few years. Hell I could re-enact most of the damn movie.

"clutch in gas on and off, clutch out"

·
When in doubtThrottle out
5,058 Posts
yup, a good friend of mine from here in FL, Eric Grey, is Joe's crew chief this year. He (and many others including M4/RRW owner John Ulrich) are certain he is destined for great things.

If you are an advanced rider, much what is in the vid may be redundant.. but MOST reading this forum are newer riders, excited to be riding on the street. Without the fundamentals of throttle control, learning to scan for turn in points and apexes, importance of being smooth on the bike and with inputs, etc. riding can be downright unsafe. Even having raced for 10+ years, there are tidbits of stuff i pick up from watching it/reading the book every now and then. It's not one of those "read it once and toss it" kind of books.
It's still a good refresher to watch for more seasoned riders to remind themselves of the fundamentals. Especially those who are just coming back from big accidents who will fight "SR"s.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts