Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
^ True Story ^
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friends and I play an MMO, which with any MMO is a lot of repetitive work.

So I'm looking to have some fun and create a bot to automate most task. I have experience with C++ and is the language I'm comfortable with but I really don't know where to start. I'm looking to automate mouse movements and simulate keystrokes. If anyone has any experience with building these types of things, any insight or help would be much appreciated.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
C++ should work fine if you just want to generate mouse and keyboard events. All you have to do is look up the handle for the game window, and you should be able to send Windows messages to it. WM_KEYDOWN, WM_LBUTTONDOWN, etc.

This is of course assuming the game uses Windows messaging to handle input. If it uses DirectX and is polling the hardware state instead of letting Windows generate the input events, things may get much more complicated.

I'm a software engineer in the game industry, and work primarily on UI stuff, so feel free to hit me up if you need more help than that.

·
^ True Story ^
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
C++ should work fine if you just want to generate mouse and keyboard events. All you have to do is look up the handle for the game window, and you should be able to send Windows messages to it. WM_KEYDOWN, WM_LBUTTONDOWN, etc.

This is of course assuming the game uses Windows messaging to handle input. If it uses DirectX and is polling the hardware state instead of letting Windows generate the input events, things may get much more complicated.

I'm a software engineer in the game industry, and work primarily on UI stuff, so feel free to hit me up if you need more help than that.
Looking into it now. Thanks!

Since I've got your attention, can you recommend the next language i should get into? I'm deciding between Java, Ruby or C#
. Java would be for the sole purpose of getting into Android.

I shouldn't of done that; guy was really looking for help...:laugh
Lol it wouldn't be the same forum without this kinda stuff. I secretly love all you assholes and I don't even know you :rolleyes:

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Looking into it now. Thanks!

Since I've got your attention, can you recommend the next language i should get into? I'm deciding between Java, Ruby or C#
. Java would be for the sole purpose of getting into Android.

Lol it wouldn't be the same forum without this kinda stuff. I secretly love all you assholes and I don't even know you :rolleyes:

I love C#. It's got a ton of features. Great support for doing UI stuff. Useful in a lot of different contexts. It's generally really productive and has a lot less of the syntax overhead of C++. If you're interested in game stuff, you can use Unity or XNA. Doesn't quite have the raw performance of C++, but you get stuff done so much faster it's worth it.

Haven't used Ruby, but my web dev friends adore it. Ruby on Rails (web development framework) - Ruby by itself isn't all that useful from my understanding.

Java is... yeah - basically good if you want to do stuff on Android. Other than that it's not a great language. Never heard of anyone loving working with it.

·
^ True Story ^
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I love C#. It's got a ton of features. Great support for doing UI stuff. Useful in a lot of different contexts. It's generally really productive and has a lot less of the syntax overhead of C++. If you're interested in game stuff, you can use Unity or XNA. Doesn't quite have the raw performance of C++, but you get stuff done so much faster it's worth it.

Haven't used Ruby, but my web dev friends adore it. Ruby on Rails (web development framework) - Ruby by itself isn't all that useful from my understanding.

Java is... yeah - basically good if you want to do stuff on Android. Other than that it's not a great language. Never heard of anyone loving working with it.
C# it is. I usually do all my web stuff in HTML 5 with CSS and a tiny bit of javascript. I'll PM you for a few other questions

1 - 13 of 13 Posts