Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this topic has already been brought up but what is the best full exhaust system for the '04 r6. I've read a lot of what hammy has said and also a lot of what wolf has said and both these guys seem super qualified to help me out here so if you could i'd be extremely appreciative. By the way i love the wolf undertail look but is it really worth 1500 for a slip on? Is there any performance gain there at all? I'm new to this so any feedback would be awsome. Thanks

·
Registered
329 Posts
Ok, the under tail is a) only $995 to readers of this board not $1500 and b) not a full system but it does make about 8 bhp gains...

Whether it's worth $995 is a personal decision I guess

In terms of a full system, my view is they are not worth it for the road as the gains are only 1-2 bhp better than a slip on and in some cases not even that...

But - if you really want a full system we do a very good one and so do Akrapovic - (obviously) contact us for the Wolf or Bladerunners for the Akra...

·
IQ = Post Count
1,734 Posts
I thought the advantage of aftermarket Full Systems was two things a) that 1-2 hp gain that isn't really worth the money by itself and b) aftermarket headers made of Ti for example would be a lot lighter than stock.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Ti headers would be lighter but again the weight saving is not much different to that between wearing leathers or a cordura coat...

Most after market headers are not ti anyway they are stainless - having said that, Hindle headers for example are stainless but lighter than titanium as they are 22 guage (ie very very thin)

The only really useful place to save weight on a bike is unsprung weight - that is wheels, tyres, brakes etc - anything under the suspension

The rule of thumb is 1 lb of unsprung weight saved is worth 10 lb anywhere else in terms of steering and handling - so rather than buy a $1500 full system to save a few pounds in weight you'd be better off with a good slip on and lighter wheels...

Of course if you are racing or just plain too risch for your own good you'll do both!

·
Registered
26 Posts
WOLF

Undertail conversion is only $9995 What kinda brand exhaust system is that? I never knew undetails could generate those kinda gains! That's awesome. Could you send me more info on undetail exhausts?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wolf,
Just sent you an e-mail. Can't wait to hear back from you. Once again thanks for all the insightful and useful information.
Alan

·
Registered
281 Posts
so lemme get this straight. wolf, you say that a full system, any brand, is not any better than a slip on for gains unless you are racing? correct me if i heard wrong.

what do the rest of y'all think about that?

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have gone through this in great detail before but the quick answer is a full system is not really worth it on the road - for an example look at Akrapovic - their slip on makes 3.5 bhp at 8000 rpm where as their $2000 full system only makes 5.4 bhp at 8000 - less than 2 bhp more for over $1000 more cost!!

The peak gains are even closer on the R6 - just 1 bhp extra from the full system.

I guess it's up to your wallet if you think that's worth it - sure it is more power on the full system but $1000 for 1-2 bhp is not good value in my book

1 - 10 of 10 Posts