Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The never ending war between which helmet is better has got me doing circles... If you have 400-500$ to spend on a helmet, what brand would you go with? HJC? Suomy? Icon? etc.... Tell me which you think is better to spend that amount on!

Edit: Just decided to add this, if your idea of a good helmet to spend 500$ on is the 1 with the prettiest and most graphics, thats not my idea of good, im talking about ones that offer the best protection :)

·
Dragging Knee
1,604 Posts
The most important thing is that the helmet fits you properly and has a snell rating.

Then I would look at Shoei, Suomy, and Arai as there helmets all fit differently and figure out which brand helmet fits your best and buy that brand.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
i recommend shoei. Feel is great, wind noise reduction is awesome, good design,/airflow. Great designs.

·
My R6 eats twisties
156 Posts
The most important thing is that the helmet fits you properly and has a snell rating.
+1 Go out and try on as many helmets as you can. I was all keen to get a shoei but after trying them on they were completely the wrong shape for my head. I tried on all the major brands I could, AGV, Arai, Soumy, Shoei, Shark, the list goes on but as soon as I slid on the Arai I knew it was the one for me. You will know when you find the right one. Good luck!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Yup...I have two Arais. Tried them all on, but Arai fit me the best!

·
Premium Member
1,668 Posts
It's all about the fit! Arai, Suomy, AGV, Shoei, in my opinion are the best. For a cheaper helmet I'd go with a scorpian. I'm sorry I think Icon is junk. I had one of their helmets for 3 days and hated it! Cheak pads not right, and the back padding was as hard as a brick!

·
47 Posts
Yup...I have two Arais. Tried them all on, but Arai fit me the best!
+1

Most people have an Arai head or a Shoei head. Just dont go cheap because its cheap. That helmet keeps your head from cracking if you hit the ground. Its not something to be cheap with.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The safety factor amount most of the top end helmets are indiscernible. In a crash, they should all offer about the same protection. Like Mojo mention, its most important that the helmet fits you! You want it snug so that the helmet doesn't move around too much and require actual force to remove, however you don't want it ripping at your ears. Chipmunk cheeks are a positive ;)

The main difference between these helmets that you're paying for are weight, aerodynamics, graphics and liner. they all offer something different.

Icon is garbage. I've only heard consistently bad reviews on them.

·
dodging cars on my R6
708 Posts
What are your thoughts on HJC helmets? HJC helmets are all I've ever worn, snowmobiling, dirtbike and street. I've never had any problems or bad things to say about them.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'v had both HJC and Shoei , I like the padding in the hjc better but the shoei is a lot lighter and while ridding it does not lift up . My main lid is the shoei nerve rf-1000 and it is a lot cooler and rarely fogs up!

Attachments

·
iCrash
1,912 Posts
yes fit is important, but ECE is a better standard then Snell, snell standards transmit to much g forces to the brain due to snells pointless test requirement that a helmet must take a blow in the same spot twice.
there is no point to this because once the helmet has 1 impact u replace it w/ a new one.

if u want to get a sweet lid find a Japanese/Euro market ECE approved Arai, Suomy, Shoei, OGK or a US or Euro model Shark.
they can be found on ebay.uk

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have an ICON Domain Decay and I love it.

·
Its Only a 600?
319 Posts
I have a Suomy Spec 1R, and its awesome. A little noisy compared to others, but the weight and fit of the helmet is perfect for my head.

·
Registered
16 Posts
What are your thoughts on HJC helmets? HJC helmets are all I've ever worn, snowmobiling, dirtbike and street. I've never had any problems or bad things to say about them.
HJC is fine in my opinion. They really do make helmets for everything but as for motorcycle helmets, they're not supported by any major riders where as in MotoGP, you'll see most of the riders wearing Shoei, Arai and etc. They might just be considered on the lower end of the spectrum but still acceptable.

Shark??? Nobody mentioned Shark...
I think someone else already mentioned it on the first page.
Top 3 as per popularity;
Shoei, Arai and Suomy
then maybe AGV and Shark.
All of them are great companies.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I recently bought a ICON Airframe. I absolutly love it. Fits amazingly, its totaly vented, and its super light feeling. I got it for $250

1 - 20 of 37 Posts